Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanic told me the rear pads and rotors need replaced on my '06 Wagon. Decided to do it myself, for the first time. I'm working on the first wheel. It's a rust belt car, so no surprise that I had to use 8mm bolts in the rotor to break the rotor from the hub. What DID surprise me is that when I removed the rotor, the parking brake pads fell to the ground. Photos of replacement parking brakes (Subaru OE Part #26694AG000) show each pad attached to a metal backing. In my case, each backing remained on the wheel, as part of the parking brake assembly. But the two pads--the actual braking material that wears against the inside drum of the rotor--separated and are what fell to the ground when I removed the rotor.

Any idea why this occurred? (My parking brake was not engaged.)

Does this mean I have to buy new parking brake replacement pads? I'd rather not, given the cost ($70) and having to take apart the parking brake. Is there an adhesive that can bond the braking pad to the metal backing? It will have to withstand a lot of heat and shearing force.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,142 Posts
Sounds like a failure of the adhesive layer, perhaps undermined by rust.

I think you already know what we’re going to say to you about any attempt to rebond the brake material to the pad. But you might find some in a reclaim yard that are lower cost; check there first. These don‘t wear like normal brakes unless you use the handbrake for J-turns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a failure of the adhesive layer, perhaps undermined by rust.

I think you already know what we’re going to say to you about any attempt to rebond the brake material to the pad. But you might find some in a reclaim yard that are lower cost; check there first. These don‘t wear like normal brakes unless you use the handbrake for J-turns.
johnre, thanks for the reply. You're right; I knew it was a long shot. I'll see about getting some used ones. Honestly, I'm more intimidated by having to take apart the parking brake. Given my mechanical abilities and the amount of rust, it looks like a ripe opportunity to break small, very rusted parts and be unable to put it all back together properly, even with the help of videos on this site and YouTube.

·
Registered
Winestone Metalic 2000, Seamist Green 2004 Both 2.5 Auto
38 Posts
johnre, thanks for the reply. You're right; I knew it was a long shot. I'll see about getting some used ones. Honestly, I'm more intimidated by having to take apart the parking brake. Given my mechanical abilities and the amount of rust, it looks like a ripe opportunity to break small, very rusted parts and be unable to put it all back together properly, even with the help of videos on this site and YouTube.
If you rarely use the parking brakes you could get them from AutoZone
Duralast Parking Brake Shoe 758 about $27.00
and a parking break hardware kit, to replace the small very rusted parts
Duralast Parking Brake Hardware Kit H7948 about $23.00

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion, MarshaJ773. I considered the Duralast pads and hardware kit, but decided to order Centric pads and hardware kit instead. Less than $40, total.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts