Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback XT, 5spd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally broke my mod virginity and got my access port, stage 1 bone stock and i love it.

I want moreeeeeeeeeee

So i have compiled my list of mods as follows

stage 1 ( better handling)

AP tune - done

Next
- cobb ST shifter, cobb poly bushings

- bigger front and rear sway bars, New HD mounts ( size and brand to be determined)

- King springs ( looking for opinions on these, are they worth it with factory struts? )

Stage 2 ( better go go)
exhaust mods, i know nothing about this at all so i will need some input on what to get and do first.

Last

Brakes ?

·
Registered
06 Outback XT, 5spd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a nice page , thanks.

the tune went well, i had a few problems being my battery voltage was too low for some reason but after i quick rip around the block it was all good. Was easy to install other than that and im quite happy with the results of the stage 1 93 octane setting. i may try the econo setting for a trip some time just to see what it does.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stuart,

Here are a few tips.
The biggest bang for buck in handling is the rear sway bar. I got both a front and rear bar on my car. You might also want to look at the end links when you get those as well.

For the shifter, get the shifter bushings ASAP, they are cheap and make a world of difference in the shifter feel. I wouldn't bother with the Short throw shifter. I jsut got a shorter shift knob on mine and that's been good enough for me.

As far as springs and suspension, I just went with the BC BR coil overs. They have height adjustment and dampening adjustment, so you can really dial in your ride. They make an Outback specific model, and a set runs about $1000.

For exhaust, you should be able to just upgrade the Down Pipe and be able to run an off the shelf COBB stage 2 map. If you want full turbo back exhaust, AVO makes one for the Outback, but it's hard to find and expensive. Other than that you have to get a Legacy GT exhaust and have it modified so the exhaust tips on the mufflers point down. Do NOT upgrade the intake or air filter to a high flow. If you do that will require a custom tune for it.

For brakes, Legacy GT brakes are bigger and are a bolt on swap. There is also a 4 pot Wilwood kit available for about $1000. Of course for starters you can just put some better pads in like HAWK HPS.

Couple of things I'd like to warn you on, and suggest you search on.
06XT Turbo Oil Line banjo bolt. There is a filter in there which can clog and cause oil starvation to turbo causing the turbo to blow.

Catted Up Pipe. The 06XT has a catted up pipe which I have read can go and throw shrapnel into the turbo causing it to blow.

Also read up on cracked oil pickups.

These are three items you might want to address early on in your modding process.

You can PM me if you have some questions.

·
Registered
06 Outback XT, 5spd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, ive been looking at the catless up already this week just trying to decided which one to get, im leaning towards one without the flex joint at this point as i dont have a good relationship with flex joints. other than that i think i will do a perrin catted dp maybe and re tune with the cobb and leave it at that as far as performance goes as i dont want to blow anything up this early into the engines life.

I will also dive in when i do the UP and maybe check those banjo bolt filters.

( also tried econo mode on a short highway jog,50kms, and got 6.9 l/[email protected] 100km/h thats pretty insane, that's like corolla mileage but the car was gutless as %$&*)

seen this post on the lgt forum for the invidia stuff on sale,
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...t-sale-catbacks-downpipes-headers-168180.html

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
You could just look for a used sti up pipe. No sense in breaking the bank for a simple short length of pipe.

·
Registered
"Honey Badger" 2005 OBXT Limited 5EAT 108K+ miles
107 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts