Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went in for my first "free" oil change from the dealership where I bought my OB. The tech casually mentioned that both banks were seeping oil, and to "keep an eye on it" (as it my air filter was going to need replacing soon or something). Now, I'm new to the world of Subaru, but in my past automotive experience, seeping heads are a big deal, and not really something you just monitor.

What am I supposed to monitor, and how bad is too bad? Do I wait until it is dripping oil on the ground or what? Also, is there something that can be done to stave off replacement? Any oil or stop-leak additives that people have successfully used? Open to any suggestion, as this is quite a surprise and disappointment for a vehicle with only 57k miles on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Check the oil frequently and top up as needed. You'll eventually get a feel for how often you need to do this.

I strongly advise against using an oil stop-leak compound. They were fine for simpler engines, but with the oil-regulated automatic valve control and other goodies in your outback I'd stay away.

If your HG leak is anything like others of that type/vintage, at some point it will weep coolant as well, so you'll have two mouths to feed. Some folks have driven like this for years and tens of thousands of miles. Just don't run dry and you'll be fine.

Subaru has been known to pay for replacements out of warranty, or deeply discount the repair. Talk to a dealer and Subaru of America hq. they will want to see the car and also a full maintenance record.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,814 Posts
Um, I guess you're sure he meant the HGs - or could it be the valve cover gaskets?

either way, no stop-leak in the oil is good advice.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um, I guess you're sure he meant the HGs - or could it be the valve cover gaskets?

either way, no stop-leak in the oil is good advice.
Well, he gave me a print out, and I believe it says HGs, but I'll have to check, and maybe open the hood and see just how bad it is. I have noticed a coolant smell from time to time, and have had to add a bit of coolant, although that was a few months ago, and I am/was hopeful that the Subaru additive they gave me was doing the trick.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
This can't be iterated enough - CHECK YOUR FLUIDS. If you overheat, you will be in it for a lot more than now.

I suspect it's valve covers, as that is a common issue. HG are less common.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Hey fair enough, it could just be valve covers. That's a much more likely problem with far less severe consequences.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
IF the HG's are weeping oil, and you keep the fluid monitored and levels correct, I'd say you could drive it like this for the next 100k miles or so.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Both banks seeping oil sounds like valve cover gaskets to me, but I could be wrong.

Stick your head under the car and look. Valve cover gaskets will leak, well from the valve covers down and a HG leak will not be around the valve cover.

One is very fixable, the other, you can live with it like that for eons as long as you regularly check the oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts