Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to here. Been cruising around here for a while now and love the site.

I hope some people might be able to help me out with this. Bought a used 07 OBW manual transmission about 2 years ago. 60k on it. This past winter I could hear the Throw Out Bearing starting to squeel. Let it go through the winter, spring and summer came, didn't hear it until about 2 weeks ago when the temps were starting to drop here in Utah.

Bought a clutch online (Perfection clutch), and had it installed at a local Suby/evo shop. They installed everything, resurfaced the flywheel, etc, the works.

I picked it up yesterday, and I notice an extreme shudder when going into 1st gear / reverse. Pretty much anything from a dead stop. It feels like it's just about to stall out, but RPM is still right at 1k.

Anyone have any idea what this could be from? I have about 50 miles on the new clutch. Think it just needs to break in? I know that you should go about 500 miles on a new clutch before it is broken in, but hate thinking that there may be a faulty part, etc, that is causing this shudder.

Thanks again for whoever may have some insight with this. This noob certainly appreciates it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shudder in a new clutch CAN result from hanging the transmission on the new clutch while re-installing it. That will warp the center section of the clutch resulting in what you are experiencing. I would also check that the clutch fork has been pushed ALL the way in; that happened to me once but I caught it right away.

I would also take it back to the shop and have them ride with you while YOU drive and demonstrate what you are talking about.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Im thinking you were taken for a ride. Release bearing failure happens fairly quick. Normally around 130 150k is where they normally show up. Not over a year. Mine went from very slight neutral transmission lurch to full screech with clutch out. Maybe 500 miles max. The subaru tech I had do the full clutch job confirmed that was text book and when they start going they go.

Clutch chatter on cold mornings is due to cold clutch pad material vs plate. Plate replacement is a must along with the possible tweak during install. Old plate vs new clutch no mention of the release bearing. The plates in these cars are not overbuilt meaning resurfacing them is usually not going to return the results you want for another 100k.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
4 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing