Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So not sure if this is the right place to post this but my new-to-me 07 Outback 2.5l basic 141k sounds like its riding on rails or something. I'm doing a brake job on both the rotors and pads thee week as their rusted to **** and hoping that's the noise and not the drivetrain. Might add calipers to that if I deem the car worthy of such an expensive repair. also both front inner CV boots split like yesterday but I don't think that's the issue.

Am I on the right track replacing brakes or is there another possible issue? The 5spd shifts fine. Just changed the engine oil (diff fluid is next on the list)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,809 Posts
Other possible issues is the sway bar end links. Front and Rear may be worn out and rattling. Especially on rough roads. If the wheels are out of balance or tire pressure is off it will amplify the issue.

Also, check the front lower control arms. The rear bushings will rip with age and allow for movement of the rear portion of the arm causing noise and in severe instances handling will be a problem.

Other noises can be made by worn struts, but it will also ride up and down like a boat on moderate waves every time you hit a bump.

Unless the caliper or caliper bracket bolts are loose, it's not the brakes making the noise. Unless someone put the wrong size pads on the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other possible issues is the sway bar end links. Front and Rear may be worn out and rattling. Especially on rough roads. If the wheels are out of balance or tire pressure is off it will amplify the issue.

Also, check the front lower control arms. The rear bushings will rip with age and allow for movement of the rear portion of the arm causing noise and in severe instances handling will be a problem.

Other noises can be made by worn struts, but it will also ride up and down like a boat on moderate waves every time you hit a bump.

Unless the caliper or caliper bracket bolts are loose, it's not the brakes making the noise. Unless someone put the wrong size pads on the car.
Thanks, super insightful. given the nature of the sound I never would have suspect the sway bars or control arms. It rides/handles fine it's just loud. I'll look at the bushings and stuff and see what I find. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts