Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I was quoted $2000 to repair the head gasket leak. Is it worth asking Subaru to assist with the cost? I dont see any oil leaking on the ground. Can i wait before I get the money? Will it cause more damage?

Thanks
Cr

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
888 Posts
Can an internal leak and or leaking coolant or seeping both.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
In direct answer, yes, Subaru will contribute some money unless there is some extraordinary circumstance [such as an accident]. They even offered to give me $500 for my 02 if I would have the work done at a subaru dealer. For an 07, they should contribute more I would think. I didn't have the work done by a dealership-too expensive even with the credit.

If the leak was inspected by a dealership, you can call subaru and open a file. Then they will determine how much they will contribute

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer Credit- Should i have heads retorqued?

Thanks for the help. I asked and the Dealer in San Jose CA will give us $450 toward the new head gaskets. They may have to be machined but not sure for $450 bucks. I decided to have the timing belt replaced while the engine is torn down. Also the parts will be at cost. :)

Should I have the head re-torqued after a specified amount of miles?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
That's great that the dealer will reduce his charges. Now contact
Subaru and find out how much they will contribute.

Why are you asking about re-torquing head bolts? No is the answer. but where did that idea come from?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
retorque

hi mike well the goodyear mechanic mentioned it when we were talking about it before i took it to the dealer. i am only going to do what the dealer says. i got too much info from too many mechanics. lol.

thanks
c

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, not to hijack thread... but I also have a 2007 ob with near 88k and I'm losing about a quart per month.

- no overheating
-cannot see oil leaks, but I didn't go underneath
- no puddles
- recently changed coolant and dealer gave me 4oz conditioner.

Is this a head gasket or is it burning it?

I would think 1 qt / month would leave puddles and be visible everywhere.

I am not the original owner... but I maintain the vehicle myself.

What should I do?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hi, not to hijack thread... but I also have a 2007 ob with near 88k and I'm losing about a quart per month.

- no overheating
-cannot see oil leaks, but I didn't go underneath
- no puddles
- recently changed coolant and dealer gave me 4oz conditioner.

Is this a head gasket or is it burning it?

I would think 1 qt / month would leave puddles and be visible everywhere.

I am not the original owner... but I maintain the vehicle myself.

What should I do?
Take it for a ride. Park use the PARKING brake- turn the wheels hard right. Shut the car off get on your knees and from just behind the driver side front tire look forward and tward the center of the car. The very back bottom corner of the engine on the driver side is where the back of the head and block meet just over the hot exhaust. The external HG leak drips off the bottom corner of the block right onto the hot exhaust. After a few minutes all evidence of a leak is gone. No over heating etc - then really what you need is the head pulled - new gasket put on head put back on and done WELL!!!! If done correctly you will never have another issue again. Done poorly you will have another leaky gasket again!

At 88K fairly new car - if indeed you see the drip of coolant in the quick peek which you can't miss if it is indeed doing this - take it to a Subaru dealer and file a online ticket with Subaru. Do both! Do not just go to the dealer- make sure Subaru knows about it!

Then push for some help in cost relief getting the HG done.

The conditioner might help but at the rate of loss that you have I kinda doubt it. The conditioner works best when your not leaking yet or have a very very very very slight weeping of coolant.

DO NOT OVER HEAT THE ENGINE!!!! Keep topping up the coolant!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take it for a ride. Park use the PARKING brake- turn the wheels hard right. Shut the car off get on your knees and from just behind the driver side front tire look forward and tward the center of the car. The very back bottom corner of the engine on the driver side is where the back of the head and block meet just over the hot exhaust. The external HG leak drips off the bottom corner of the block right onto the hot exhaust. After a few minutes all evidence of a leak is gone. No over heating etc - then really what you need is the head pulled - new gasket put on head put back on and done WELL!!!! If done correctly you will never have another issue again. Done poorly you will have another leaky gasket again!

At 88K fairly new car - if indeed you see the drip of coolant in the quick peek which you can't miss if it is indeed doing this - take it to a Subaru dealer and file a online ticket with Subaru. Do both! Do not just go to the dealer- make sure Subaru knows about it!

Then push for some help in cost relief getting the HG done.

The conditioner might help but at the rate of loss that you have I kinda doubt it. The conditioner works best when your not leaking yet or have a very very very very slight weeping of coolant.

DO NOT OVER HEAT THE ENGINE!!!! Keep topping up the coolant!

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I am surprised to learn that a leaky HG will not actually make a mess on your driveway?!

My relatives and friends that know about cars say oil loss in a car at that volume, with no mess on the driveway is a result of the piston rings / seals and oil creeping into the chamber. This can happen with the ej25 right?

Or is this undoubtedly an HG issue?

I've not lost any coolant. My overflow tank is right where I left it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
HG leak is almost always external on this engine and coolant.

Oil loss can be anything. I have three cars right now one is fairly new to me 07 it replaced a 93 both are toyotas. They burn about 1 quart every 3200 miles or so.

The VW we have had since day one burns 3-4 Quarts in 5000 miles.

That is why you check fluids! This is not abnormal

However my two subarus both bought new were broken in using the owners manual directions and not switching to synthetic till 20K neither one uses much more than a quart every 5000 miles which is quite low oil usage.

Oil loss could be caused by many things including simply not checking the oil while parked in the very same flat spot each time you check the level. The dip stick is a very inaccurate way of measuring the oil level in the car to start with.

·
Registered
07 2.5i
779 Posts
I have no idea where the oil would be... so I took some pictures.

There is definitely a wet spot. But not where I expected it to be.
The head gaskets are further inboard and not visible on the engine photo - that one shows the valve cover gasket. It's hard to see the HG because the exhaust and subframe are in the way. The HG is on the other side of where the exhaust manifold connects to the head. I don't see oil on the subframe or power steering rack - if you were leaking a quart per 1000 miles from the HGs, those would be covered in oil.

The wet spot is at the junction between the front differential and transmission. The transmission oil (ATF) pump is there, along with shaft seals between the transmission and differential. I hope none of that is leaking.

There are vent hoses and the differential fill port on the top side. If trans or diff are overfilled, or someone spilled while filling, it might run down there. Try to get a good look from the other side and see if it is running down from the top.

Other possible sources of leaks from the trans are the pan, ATF cooler pipes & hoses, and seals for the shifter or electrical connectors. You really need to give a good visual inspection. It will help if you can get the car up on ramps or jack stands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All fluid levels look OK (atf, diff, oil, coolant.)

But I am definitely loosing a qt every1500-2000 miles.

Should I worry?

Its never overheated... and the temp gauge has always stayed dead center... this PICT was taken after 30 minutes at 70-80mph

·
Registered
18,051 Posts
What do you think guys?
In the third and fourth photos it seems that the oil (whatever it is) is not running down the left side; it looks pretty dry in front of the AT filter. But it could be coming down on the right side and collecting at the bottom. (Also, as ron917 suggests, that's pretty far back from the heads, which we're not seeing at all.)

The staining we see could be an old spill if/when the differential fluid was changed/topped up. That would come down the right side in that area. But it wouldn't be engine oil, which is what's being lost.

As ron917 also noted, the second photo shows the bottom of the left side head/valve cover. There's no sign of oil there, and while we can't see the actual head/block junction, if there was so much oil leaking from the HG on that side it would show some signs of staining.

I'd be interested in what the right side looks like, especially at the bottom and back. Also, there have been reports here of significant oil loss due to failures in the variable valve lift control solenoids and sensors. There's a set at the upper front of the left head and another at the upper rear of the right head. For a photo showing the left front side VVL components: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/29119-my-2007-outback-leaking-burning-oil.html#post283740; and for the right side see the attachment in: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/88-head-gasket-issues/46585-oil-top-engine-2005-a.html#post442770. These are areas to inspect as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
No one has specifically replied to the orginal point. It isn't possible to be losing 2 qts per 3k-4k miles from the head gasket without having an oil spot on your driveway. I was losing less then 1/4 of that amount and had a very obvious spot on the pavement. Finding the source of the leak isn't obvious but the results of the leak are.

While the pictures arn't definitive, I don't think that the HG is leaking much at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Car almost done

@Mike the dealer suggested I also replace the water pump and timing belt. I gave them the go ahead. I hope I am making the right decision. They are very curtious and seem sincere.....Subaru really does help out with the costs. The dealer said they fear class action law suits etc. :confused:

Chris

1 - 20 of 37 Posts