Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife owns an 07 Outback 2.5i LL Bean without VDC. We've owned the car since 2010 and have driven it in many Kansas City snow events (4" or less) since that time. Last week while getting stuck in the middle of a hefty blizzard and getting the car stuck and eventually parked in around 10" of unplowed snow with ice at the base, the car threw the CEL, "V55" on the dicator, ABS light, flashing cruise light, and cooling fans on. This occured shortly after spinning the all tires for a short duration of time (less than 20 seconds) going in 1st and reverse up to rpms around 3000rpm (1st gear only) while trying to park the car next to the curb.

Once the car was parked, I researched the issue and figured it would be the PO500 (vehicle speed sensor malfunction). The next morning, I dug out the car, pushed all the snow out from inside the rims and around the brakes, and pulled the code with my Torque app. Sure enough, PO500. I cleared it and the car drove fine for the next 24 hours.

The following day I took the kids sledding. When leaving, the parking stall was extremely slushy and full of loose 6"+ snow. It took some effort to get out. All four wheels were spun again in 1st and reverse as I was trying to get out. I didn't use excessive rpm nor did it for a prolonged period of time. Once again, the car threw the same CEL and V55 indicated. Nothing was accumulated inside the rims. I cleared the code and there's been no issue for the past week.

Is the ECM that tempermental that it doesn't like seeing the front and rear axles spinning at different speeds for more than a few seconds? I could possibly understand if the car had VDC, but all it has is ABS. This is first the car has ever thrown a CEL or shown issues in the slick stuff.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,315 Posts
Its the ice and snow packing around the speed sensors. When it happens, clean off the snow like you did prior or just drive it knowing the VDC, ABS and CC won't work until it clears itself.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
And get some nice snow tires! ;-)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And get some nice snow tires! ;-)
Kansas City only gets 16" to 18" of snow a year and most events are 2 to 4" and the snow is off the road in 4 hours. I'm not wasting my money on snow tires. I've managed to drive in the snow since 1987 on all season tires with no issues :D Last week was freakish for KC. 25" in 5 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.