Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have an 08 or 09 outback. I cant remember. It is the outback 2.5xt and is manual(special ordered :)). It has 120k miles and all leather and well taken care of and recently been serviced and all parts that needed to be replaced replaced. I am planning on selling and was wondering what would be a fair price? thanks! I cant seem to find another 2.5xt from 08-09.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
I currently have an 08 or 09 outback. I cant remember. It is the outback 2.5xt and is manual(special ordered :)). It has 120k miles and all leather and well taken care of and recently been serviced and all parts that needed to be replaced replaced. I am planning on selling and was wondering what would be a fair price? thanks! I cant seem to find another 2.5xt from 08-09.
moved thread updated title.

2007-09 XTs have about the same things in them. manuals with leather are unique. (edit: but out there )

location?

any aftermarkets / add ons?

edit: what is new now?

clean title?

(edit: I see Seattle, = very high asking prices for used subarus there).
@traildogck maybe able to suggest what they go for in similarly priced colorado.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant remember whats new, but just basic hoses and filters and stuff of that sort. Also a new clutch too. It is clean title.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
KBB, Edmunds, and TrueCar will give you a rough idea of what its worth. What you can get is another discussion. Generally, the range is from $5-10K for a logical sale. Why the large range? Too many factors to list, but it typically comes down to the right seller and how good the car really is. Actual cash value (for insurance purposes) is closer to 5-8K. Insurance doesn't pay the Subaru tax.

If you want to ask top dollar, the generation-specific issues would need to have been addressed already. If you can cross these off (and prove) the maintenance list, you'd be on the upper end of the asking price realm.

-Struts (at least the rear)
-Rear suspension bushings
-Tires
-Proof of a good-condition trans snout
-Compression/leak down test results from recent mileage
-Preventative turbo maintenance (video, inspection report from service, etc)
-Spark plug replacement
-Valve lash check/adjustment
-Timing belt and components
-Regular fluid intervals (not necessarily based on mileage at this point, but age)
-Rear hatch wiring replaced/repaired
-Sunroof operation is flawless
-TPMS sensors have been replaced (again, this one by age)

Most of the stuff above seems trivial, but can easily add-up to several thousand dollars. And to the right buyer, having these things done is a sign of active, informed ownership.

If NONE of the above has been done, it's closer to a $7K car if the body is clean, straight, and presents well. Too many dents or an interior that's worn and torn and you're capped closer to $6k. It might be rough to hear, but manual XTs aren't THAT rare (for any year, I have three 08s for sale near me as of this posting). These were mostly enthusiast bought from the start, so they all tend to be pretty similar.

Overall, feel the market. I wouldn't take $2000 for it, but don't expect a bidding war over $15k either.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
^ Brilliant post.

It's so true with the XT- if you can prove the maintenance is up to date with receipts and work orders, the value (to an informed buyer) goes way up.

Of course, you might find somebody who just likes the color, and their money is good enough too.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
Of the list above, the "big things" that many will look for is a clutch and a timing belt / water pump change. And no valve cover oil leaks.

If I were looking to buy another OB XT, I'd pay extra if the valve clearance has been adjusted and transmission snout repaired.

In addition, I'd pay top dollar if there was a way to prove the turbo was good, it wasn't burning any oil, and the banjo filters were removed.

If the turbo had been replaced (but not the engine) I'd stay away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts