Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback, 05 LGT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Codes p0301 and p0303
I did a jdm swap last summer, swapped intakes, new plugs and wires, new intakes gaskets. Every time I accelerate hard it throws those codes. Sometimes dies when the vehicle is coming to a complete stop. Red lights, stop sign, etc. I've read all the threads I could find on the subject. I never run ethanol gas.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I assume your new motor also has AVLS (AVCS is for turbo motors)?

Was it another 2.5 or a 2.0?

Was the valve lash checked when the new motor was installed?

·
Registered
2008 Outback, 05 LGT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, yes it was another AVLS. It was a 2.5 and valve lash was not checked. I didn't know that was a thing. I was in the process of building my truck motor when I spun a bearing on the old motor, (no oil) so I was in a pinch. Is that hard to do? I'm not dumb or incompetent, just impatient. :)

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
It's pretty straightforward. Bit of a pain in the car, but doable.

It's not mentioned as often as it should, unfortunately, but every 105k (or unknown condition) is recommended. The exhaust like to tighten up and hold-open the valve slightly. After a while, they burn the valve face and leak.

·
Registered
2008 Outback, 05 LGT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: I checked and rechecked everything.
I finally gave up and just babied it until it we were on our way home from Texas after Christmas. I knew what it was the second I heard it. Spark plug wallowed out and ejected. Limped her home about 45 miles.

I bought a kit but the tool wouldn't fit in the hole in the valve cover. Bought another kit, said a bunch of prayers and that was that. The Lord is merciful. No more codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts