Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 outback at mechanic now. Diagonostic said cylinder #1 no firing, which was causing the car to shake, and sometimes run ok and sometimes not. (just a mile or 2 of driving to shop). He replaced all spark plugs installed new cylinder coil and the new one burned up again. Excuse my terminology, I'm trying to remember exactly what he said. Has to keep the car longer to see what the electrical is doing to the coil. Any clues anyone?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,489 Posts
is that a regular 4 cylinder

a 6 cylinder

or a turbo 4?

(the later 2 have fancier coil on plug,... which seems to be what you describe

.the regular 4 has a traditional coil pack.)

_____

and I guess you would see the check engine light flash when it would actually misfire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I think its a 6 cylinder. Its the LL Bean edition. And yes the ABS light and the check engine light came on. While left idling the lights went off, driving it they came back on and the car started to shimmy again. Not while actually driving but upon slowing down.
Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,489 Posts
updated thread title.

rare do these go wrong,...= like 500,000 mile parts. and even odder if the mechanic replaced just #1 two times.

one thing that does happen is people occasionally have a issue getting the coil to lock down good to the plug. and they use a wire tie, or a zip tie. to make it physically have a better connection then the existing clip may allow.
but that is like on 200,000 mile ones,...that are still good working things.

turbo and other H6 people may have better ideas though,...so keep reading and please update the situation.

2007-2009 H6 cars are very desirable,...and the envy of many on this board.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
Hopefully your mechanic is able to correctly diagnose a bad coil (easiest is to relocated and follow the misfire).

VERY cheap aftermarket parts can fail quickly, missing the splash shield, poor connector condition (which is very common on the H4 Turbo and H6 as the share the same plug design).

Hopefully it does not prove to be a mechanical fault (like poor cylinder timing or poor cylinder condition).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,489 Posts
The ECU controls the coil. Once the coil and the wiring has been exonerated, the ECU is next..
I remember 2 recent people on here with 2008 era H6 cars getting used ECU for their cars recently due to misfires. I hope it is not a rash of them,...as there was not that many made in the first place.

(edit: misfires that could not be fixed by conventional means).

@traildogck has there been anyone on the XRT board typing about this?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
At this point, I'd swap one of the other 5 originals to pos#1 and put the new coil in a different spot.

that should tell you if there's a wiring or ECU issue vs bad new parts.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
277 Posts
Aside from what's been mentioned already, it's also worth asking what part your mechanic used for the ignition coil. OEM? Aftermarket?
Have seen cheap aftermarket stuff fail right out of the box or shortly thereafter....especially for electronic components like sensors and coils, etc...

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
@traildogck has there been anyone on the XRT board typing about this?
No.

There have been a couple that needed to go to Tactrix for repair. When you can read or flash, there is something wrong. A few folks have joined up an not been able to read...so off the ECU goes for a few weeks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,489 Posts
No.

There have been a couple that needed to go to Tactrix for repair. When you can read or flash, there is something wrong. A few folks have joined up an not been able to read...so off the ECU goes for a few weeks.
does tactrix do some physical repair to them?

or do they only plug them into their computers and unbrick the ones that are "stuck" from problems of reflashing mistakes?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
does tactrix do some physical repair to them?

or do they only plug them into their computers and unbrick the ones that are "stuck" from problems of reflashing mistakes?
I think it depends what's wrong. That's above my pay grade for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts