Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 2.5 Outback L.L. Bean
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Outback friends!!!

Looks like i've hit the crucial repair mark. I'm at about 105k and had her since the day she hit the new lot in Sept of 2007. No major repairs really. Struts at 15k, and the Cat Conv was done about 10k ago. Rear wheel bearings. I've got a few issues coming up that I know need to be taken care of. The issue is that I don't know where to get it done. I wish I could do this stuff on my own, but I don't have the tools or the space (high rise apartments with parking garage). So, my question is where do you guys suggest I get these repairs done, and in what order.

1. I haven't changed the timing belt yet. Certainly top of the list.

2. Fluids. I haven't changed all the fluids listed on the Subaru website like Brake, Power, Transmission, fuel induction, and coolant.

3. It seems that I know have an exhaust issue. I can hear a leak when I start/turn off the engine. Starting to get a little louder. This will probably need to get taken care of soon is my guess.

3.5 Always had an intense rattle, but my guess is that is from the heat shield. It developed shortly before the cat conv was replaced under warranty. Usually bad on take off and acceleration at any point. Not a big concern since it's the shield though. I have tried using clamps here and there, but didn't fix the problem all the way.

Aside from this, I've taken pretty good care of the car. I change the oil every time between 3,500 - 4k. Always checked the fluids. Thanks again for any advice you all might have. I wish I could complete these all at once, but I just don't have the cash to fork out. I can separate it out over a few months if possible. Just wanted to gather everyone's thoughts on where it might be good to get these repairs done. I am in the Northern VA area.

Thanks again and looking forward to the next 100k!

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would have the timing belt replacement done first, and the coolant replaced at the same time- those are a natural pairing.

Have the exhaust leakproofing, rattle diagnosis and transmission fluid drain & fill done on the next visit- all require going up on a lift, but lower priority than the above but still important.

Deal with brake & power steering fluid flushes later still, unless you get a new problem first. I wouldn't bother doing anything at all with the induction system unless you have a specific symptom.

·
Registered
2005 Outback LLBean H6
12 Posts
Belt or Chain?

My 05 now has @122k. I took it to the dealer for all 100k work to be done at 100k, they informed me that the H6 models have timing chains and there would be no need for replacement. I had all other work done. There is a serp. belt visable(which I had replaced), however they said that wasn't a timimg belt.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
My 05 now has @122k. I took it to the dealer for all 100k work to be done at 100k, they informed me that the H6 models have timing chains and there would be no need for replacement. I had all other work done. There is a serp. belt visable(which I had replaced), however they said that wasn't a timimg belt.
That is correct. Less maintenance required on those H6 engines. The serp belt (and particularly one of its tensioners) will occasionally fail, but it's not a disaster when that happens.

EZ30 3.0L H6 engine is a chain
EJ25 2.5L H4 engine is a belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts