Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback WGN 2.5i Auto
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I upgraded the rear sway bar at least a year ago, put the AVO supports on this past fall. Now I am reading post's here to up grade the end links on the rear (I want to do the front as well during a swaybar bushing replacement, will retain stock front bar), BUT when I upgraded the front and rear endlinks on my 03 Outback, the car was horrible to live with on the frost heaved roads of NH. THoughts and inputs..
Thanks
NH_Outback

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
I'm puzzled.... changing end links should not have any effect on handling, unless the previous end links were actually broken or deliberately disconnected.

Did you change any other parts at the same time?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does sound like the factory links were worn or have given out all together. The factory links are known to fail easily or the rubber gives out.
My decision to go with performance links vs just above oem was a decision of why put a performance anything and use aftermarket equals but then again I went for the inhanced abilty to adjust my links giving me abilty to to tune the suspension.
Endlinks are part of the give and take of the swaybar and if the links are worn you will get increased bodyroll and sways will flex more.
So overall with upgraded bars fr/rear and endlinks and AVO braces, I can tell the difference in stiffness and cornerning.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ok, I upgraded the rear sway bar at least a year ago, put the AVO supports on this past fall. Now I am reading post's here to up grade the end links on the rear (I want to do the front as well during a swaybar bushing replacement, will retain stock front bar), BUT when I upgraded the front and rear endlinks on my 03 Outback, the car was horrible to live with on the frost heaved roads of NH. THoughts and inputs..
Thanks
NH_Outback
I was told the same thing from several I had talked to and kinda a fear in me when I had new bars waiting to be put on. If I remember right with thicker bars and new links the body roll will be gone and they told me in rain or on snow the rear will slip some depending on direction. I have new 22 fr and 19 rear with avo braces, new endlinks(adjustable)in the rear and swaybar locks, I havent felt or noticed in the wet or in snow. I know the rear is stiffer now so taking corners in the snow it will give some but I power through it knowing the limits.
I have noticed though a big change in cornering dry that it will track perfectly. Also I do have 235/55/17 on.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
I still say the only reason to upgrade end links is because you're breaking the stock ones, or you desire adjustable links.

I've had a Rallitek rear sway bar on my car for 2+ years, and AVO brackets for almost as long. Still on the stock end links. They aren't breaking, leaking, clicking or clunking so they stay for now.

I also have a Rallitek bar on the front. One of those end links gave out pretty quickly, and gave a fair clunk on every bump. I replaced them with a set of Rallitek HDs and it's been good since.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mine were ok but still desired the overall upgrade to be one and didnt want to have to replace the factory ones as I travel a lot and hard to find a good mechanic or have a place to do them myself, so doing the full upgrade has all around payed off,now considering the rear and front body braces.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
... as I travel a lot and hard to find a good mechanic or have a place to do them myself, so doing the full upgrade has all around payed off,now considering the rear and front body braces.
Now that I can relate to. I think mine spends more time in the airport parking lot than anywhere.

Let me know how you do with the body braces, been curious about those for some time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I will, just have to decide on front or rear or both and if the ones from Avo will fit and if the front will work around the engine cover or if I finally and will get a front skid from a supplier in Colorado.

·
Registered
08 Outback Touring Blue/Grey w:Alpine stereo,corrosion management,front/rear swaybars/endlinks(Whiteline), King Springs, KYB struts,LWT crank pulley,K&N air filter
294 Posts
I've done both. Upgraded sway and kept factory links on a 2000 Outback. Changed sways, endlinks,coils and strut/shocks on a 2008i. If the changes had of been equal I might have noticed a difference but.... Didn"t notice any extreme wear on my 00 Outback's endlinks.
Love the change in handling in both cars especially my 08.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts