Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
What he said - just keep the same schedule or devise your own.

You need a timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner for 300k reliability. I replace those with every timing belt change, most places do not so even if the timing belt was replaced at 105k or in 2015 like it was supposed to be, it's probably still sporting pulleys with dried up bearing grease. Inteference engine so if any of those fail you usually end up with over half of the valves bent.

Note - those things aren't on the maintennace schedule, so extend it all you want but it's not excellent high mileage maintenance to follow that schedule anyway.

If you want 300,000 reliable miles i prefer a new OEM alternator and fuel pump somewhere around half way for like-new reliability and cheaper than a new car warranty.

Change engine oil, front diff, and ATF regularly with good fluids.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I won't be needing any ATF since it's a manual.
principle is the same - change the fluid in the MT which is shared with the front diff on those.

Timing belt is fresh, but I'll have a mechanic check out the pulleys and such, and we can keep an eye on the alternator, fuel pump, and all that other stuff as well. Thanks for the suggestions!
Mechanic should be checking if the pulleys have all been replaced with the "fresh timing belt", rather than just operational, which is what most mechanics would do.

They loose grease which leads to bearing failure and seizing the pulley, breaking the belt, and bending the valves - this all happens in a matter of seconds. They're only failure mode is being low on grease, the mechanic can't check that. The lower toothed sprocket is by far the most common of them all to fail, they free wheel when off the car due to lack of grease but will perform fine insitu until they seize from lack of grease.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts