Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
USA '08 Outback 25i
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This vehicle has 30k miles and has worked flawlessly the past 3 years.
Recently however moving the shift lever sounded like crunching a bowl of cornflakes and two weeks ago it started popping out of drive.
I have to hold the lever to keep it in place.

Checked for codes, and transmission performance, none and normal, concluded it was the linkage.
Lubed the front one on the transmission which I could reach from the engine compartment to no effect.
Today I jacked it up and lubed the rear one at the shift lever first with wd40 then with rustcheck.
Not hard to see why it got missed, it's over the exhaust pipe behind a big aluminum heat sink, not in the clear like the illustration below.

The crunching has stopped , the lever now moves all the way into drive and there's no suggestion of it wanting to pop out.

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
13 Posts
Good work on the diagnosis. I also found the same issue with my 2005 OB. There seemed to be a piece of broken plastic between the adjustment nut and the bottom of the arm. I loosened and removed it with a small screwdriver. I have not re-installed the cable to the transmission as naturally I started at the front and worked my way back before I found the issue. Lots of corrosion on the adjustment and I'm hoping to still remove the cable to lubricate it and clean the threads prior to bolting everything back up.
Your post helped me verify that there are others out there with similar problems.
sometimes knowing your not alone is all the motivation needed. Lol

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 limited
3 Posts
Hi, were you able to get at the cable without removing the exhaust? I have same issue on 04 Forester and do not want to mess with rusted exhaust. Also anyone know a good grease for the shifter lever? Subaru manual says SUNLIGHT2 grease which I can't find. Thanks!

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
My outbacks haven't done this, but lubing this on my '05 forester is a regular chore, every year or two.

I get things freed up then paint it all with a small brush dipped in gear lube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts