Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering installing Dynamat or equivalent in the door panels to reduce tire noise on coarse surfaces. TxDOT uses very coarse chipseal on lots of the roads, and even in this car it is annoying (was far worse in our Accord). Anyway, I feel pretty dumb: I can't find any fasteners in the interior door panels. Most cars use screws in the armrests and pushclips around the perimeter. I know I need to use a little pry tool to remove the clips around the edges, but where did Subaru hide the screws for the armrests?

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did this to my doors over the weekend. I used Peel and Seal from lowes. It is very similar to dynamat and WAY cheaper. I did two doors with one roll at $16. So heres the run down...

1. 3 retaining screws on the door panels. Two on the back side of the vertical door handle grip thing (the only bar you can grab on these doors) and one behind the lever to open the door. To get the one behind the lever, just pop the black plastic cover in the back off. You should see a little groove on the top of it where you can get a small flat head in there to pry (it tight, give it a good pop). The two screws behind the vertical handle are quite easy. Take a flat head at the top of the black handle section and pry away from the door. Once you get it started, twist the black molding upward and toward the front of the door (this is true for all doors. So driver side doors lift and twist upward and counter-clockwise, passenger side is upward and clockwise. There should be two screws behind this trim.

2. Remove the triangle trim on top of the panel by the side mirror by just prying it away from the door. Very gentle and easy to get this one off.

3. Next up are the clips. They basically run along the edge of the panel. I started at the bottom with a flat head screw driver and gently popped the clips out around the bottom of the door working my way around.

4. Disconnect your panel light, lock/unlock cables, and the window/door lock switches.

5. Lift the panel up and off the lip of the door. You should be all set.

Heres a PDF I found on here to, if pics are your thing.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/problems-maintenance/25145d1348010002-remove-driver-side-inner-door-panel-06-outback-help-msa5t0706a143563-door-trim.pdf

Good luck! and enjoy the new quiet and solid sound of your car. Mine was significantly quieter around town, not quite as noticeable on the freeway. Stereo definitely sounds better to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
stant01
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing