Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

So I wanted some advice on what I should do here. Let me preface this by saying that I have done ALL the necessary research and I just can't come up with an answer for myself so I'm here now asking for your advice.

For the past 2 week I've been non stop between here and the LGT forum trying to figure out the best suspension swap for my 2.5i. I am a ski/ snowboard rep in CO and I am constantly driving all over this state and the current suspension in my car is fair at best. I do ALOT of highway driving so I wanted to lower my car a little bit to give it that stiffer ride. I'm not racing, i'm not showing the car, I'm literally driving all over the state and I wanted a better ride.

After doing alot of researching it seems like teh LGT swap is the way to go. Then I got to thinking... well I do put a few hundred pounds worth of gear in my car from time to time and drive a good 6-8 hours with that load. So do you think that the LGT suspension will be not enough over time?

Then I thought well maybe coilovers are the way to go. Then the question arises... because i'm not racing or anything, will Megan's do the job or are they still not the way to go?

I will most likely keep my stock wheels and tires on there for at least a year. I just bought new tires and after this swap I won't have nearly the funds for a new set of wheels.

So I guess I am just wondering what I should do here. I have read and read and read and now I've gotten to the point where I am just going to ask! Sorry if this sort of thing is pounded to death but I'm really at a stalemate here.

Thanks in advance for everyones input!!!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Are you sure you need to lower your car? You can get nice handling gains at stock height. Handling will improve as you go lower, but it comes at the expense of clearance, winter capability and ultimately tire size choices if you really drop it.

So I'll put up the questions: are you explicitly looking to lower the car, or just tone up the handling? Are you at all worried about losing clearance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you need to lower your car? You can get nice handling gains at stock height. Handling will improve as you go lower, but it comes at the expense of clearance, winter capability and ultimately tire size choices if you really drop it.

So I'll put up the questions: are you explicitly looking to lower the car, or just tone up the handling? Are you at all worried about losing clearance?
you know thats a good question. I'm not looking to slam it but I figured if i'm going to put a few bucks into it i'd like the stance to be a little more agressive and look a little better. i know i can probably throw in a rear sway bar and get some nice handling gain but something about the look of it being a little bit lowered entices me. i'm not totally worried about losing clearance. i've only been in a couple of situation where that full 8" of clearance was needed but going down roads i'm not familiar of is sort of in the past for me these days!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
phrench
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing