Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caveat Emptor. I should have paid more attention. Bought an 08 Bean Outback from a (not subaru) dealer about 4 hours away from home. Fair price. Great shape. Good miles (70K). Drove like a dream home. 27 MPG. Smooth ride with lots of power. Life is good. Started it the next morning and get a big cloud of oil smoke. Oh ****. Check oil. 2 quarts low. That’s 2 quarts in 300 miles! Oh ****! After it gets through the initial cloud at start it runs like a champ. No smoke from idling at stop light, or when I floor it going up hill or when I let off going downhill, but Over the last couple of days it looks like the 150 miles per quart is about right. Talked with local subie tuner and he is going to look at it next week. Figured I’d post here to see if anyone has had a similar experience. Hoping it’s something simple, but prepared for the worst at this point. Thanks. Deet

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try replacing the PCV valve. A bad one can cause excessive oil consumption. It's cheap. If that doesn't fix it, then you may have a much larger problem and I would suggest a leakdown test, which will tell if you have bad rings/valves.

Good luck.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I haven't ever heard of a PCV causing that bad of oil consumption though it is a common failure (non subie experience). Personally I'd do the leak down test first. Sounds like valves if you lucky it just needs valve seals, though I'm not sure how subie engines are. It requires special tools.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,556 Posts
have your mech triple check the PCV and head breather hose routing. Someone working on it previously could have misrouted something.

Once I read a thread where someone bought a car and could hear gurgling from the oil dipstick tube! breather hose was misrouted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. She goes to the mechanic tomorrow. He has mentioned and will look at all of the above. Keeping my fingers crossed. Measured consumption this weekend at about 1 quart in 500 miles of mixed driving. Will advise outcome.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I have seen 500 miles per quart consumption from a bad PCV. It was on a Toyota, but changing the valve solved it completely. Otherwise, since it only does it on startup, it could be valve seals. But I am betting on the PCV, given the low miles. Someone would have had to really wring it out to wear out the rings in 70k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts