Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i'm a new member (as of today) and have been learning to navigate this site. However, as a noob, I have read a few posts here about the notorious 0420 code (which i've been dealing with) and have heard differing views on what to do.

to start: I have an '08 outback that has 109k miles on it (the CEL came on about 4000 miles ago). I put most of these miles on in a 2 year period driving the highway to work which was far away.

Now I was told subaru sent a recall notice to have the computer reprogrammed because there was an issue with the exhaust heating to quickly and possibly causing damage to the CAT. I never got this.

I recently changed my plugs, which a mechanic suggested I do to see if it helped, which it did for about 500 miles (after resetting the computer), then the light came back on.

2 things:
1: Do you think i have a leg to stand on complaining to Subaru that they may be the reason the CAT is shot, or is that just wishful thinking?

2: I guess it makes sense to go ahead and replace the forward O2 sensors before investing in a new cat right away?

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
If your car was recalled and never serviced, it should go in for that (I don't know the nature of the recall, sometimes, they must recall thousands of cars to inspect for a problem that only affects a small percentage)

but generally, the 420 code can be difficult to pin down and while there are some things a home mechanic can inspect for, you may need a professional to help. I will hazard to guess that, if your car has been running well and getting decent gas mileage, i doubt the cat conv has been significantly damaged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mileage isn't any different than it was when I got the car with 9000 miles on it. So I wl try the o2 sensors first. Can't hurt I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing