Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just bought a base model 08 Outback. Horn didn't work so he checked the fuse block, found the fuse for the horn was missing, and when he put a fuse in his horn blows nonstop.

Haven't had a chance to look at any wiring diagrams yet but I'm curious if anyone has seen this issue before and has a suggestion on where to start. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
640 Posts
Could be horn switch on the actual horn pad, on vehicles they tend to stick or short out.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
578 Posts
Agreed with above, bet someone spilled a roadbeer. The horn/airbag comes out very easily, make sure you pull the negative lead off the battery first. Or you could have a dealer run the vin in hopes that it hasn’t/wasn’t had/on the takata airbag recall service performed. If it hasn’t, have a dealer take care of it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in agreement, the horn pad was my first guess as well. Is there anything serviceable or does the driver's side airbag include the horn pad as an integrated unit?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,400 Posts
Or you could have a dealer run the vin in hopes that it hasn’t/wasn’t had/on the takata airbag recall service performed. If it hasn’t, have a dealer take care of it.
The WQR-53 Takata airbag recall for 2008 and other Gen 3 models was only for the passenger side airbag inflator; doing the replacement involved nothing on the driver's side or steering column.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , did you find a solution for the problem? Got same problem on my 2011 Outback. Horn is constantly going when the fuses are in.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi , did you find a solution for the problem? Got same problem on my 2011 Outback. Horn is constantly going when the fuses are in.
Hi Karik, welcome to the forum! He picked up a used horn/airbag but it was from a 2005-2007 and was different than his 09. Hasn't picked up an 08/09 horn yet to verify/fix.

As for troubleshooting (admittedly, we haven't tried this yet but it should work) you can pull the airbag, disconnect the grounding wire, and reassemble. With the fuse in place it shouldn't honk unless there's a short somewhere (which rules out the horn button in the airbag).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts