Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just bought a base model 08 Outback. Horn didn't work so he checked the fuse block, found the fuse for the horn was missing, and when he put a fuse in his horn blows nonstop.

Haven't had a chance to look at any wiring diagrams yet but I'm curious if anyone has seen this issue before and has a suggestion on where to start. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
287 Posts
Could be horn switch on the actual horn pad, on vehicles they tend to stick or short out.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
500 Posts
Agreed with above, bet someone spilled a roadbeer. The horn/airbag comes out very easily, make sure you pull the negative lead off the battery first. Or you could have a dealer run the vin in hopes that it hasn’t/wasn’t had/on the takata airbag recall service performed. If it hasn’t, have a dealer take care of it.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in agreement, the horn pad was my first guess as well. Is there anything serviceable or does the driver's side airbag include the horn pad as an integrated unit?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i
4,493 Posts
Or you could have a dealer run the vin in hopes that it hasn’t/wasn’t had/on the takata airbag recall service performed. If it hasn’t, have a dealer take care of it.
The WQR-53 Takata airbag recall for 2008 and other Gen 3 models was only for the passenger side airbag inflator; doing the replacement involved nothing on the driver's side or steering column.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts