Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed, 2014 Outback Premium 2.5L CVT
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fist just a bit of history.

A while back I had a mechanic that my father has used for years replace the head gaskets on our 08 Outback, it was starting to burn coolant. About 4 days and 200 miles after we got the car back we were traveling down the highway at about 72mph and I felt the car miss then about 2 seconds later went dead, then heard a knocking noise from the engine. I quickly put it in neutral and coasted to the shoulder. Got it towed back to the mechanic, what happened is the bolt that holds the timing belt tensioner broke, and you can imagine the result. Which BTW the head gaskets, timing belt, water pump, and tensioner had been replaced about 10k miles earlier by the dealer we had bought the car from. (Lesson learned there but that is another story).

He pulled the motor, had the heads repaired, said there was no damage to the pistons and gave us the car back at no charge, it ran great. I did give him some money because I didn't really feel like the problem was his fault.

After getting it back and putting some miles on the car I noticed that it was loosing oil, it has used about 3 quarts in 4000 miles, I am also noticing blue smoke sometimes at startup, but not always. No leaks anywhere, it is parked on concrete and it is always dry. I figured maybe a valve guide was damaged or didn't get replaced properly. I don't really want to deal with this mechanic again because he took a LONG time to repair the car each time. I figured I would keep the oil topped off on a regular basis, and if the consumption didn't get worse I would just live with it.

Last weekend we were on a highway trip, about 60 miles in the check engine light came on, today I took it to Oriley's to have the code read and it is P0026. I've done quite a bit of reading about what can cause this code on here, I'm just wondering if the oil consumption problem might be related or even caused by this? Or maybe the oil consumption is causing this code?

Anything possible I need to look for that could be causing the oil consumption that I need to look for?

I did just have the heater core replaced 1 week prior because of no heat on the passenger side, and I did attempt to back flush the heater core myself with only a minor improvement, but I don't see that as a possible cause.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. My wife and I have been somewhat torn on what to do with this car, we both really like it but it has been quite the problem child, not sure what to do with it.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Frham synthetic filters, I'm about 3600 miles into this change, I usually do changes around 5000. I did run 10w-40 this change to see if it would help with the consumption which it did not. Normally I run 5w-30 in the winter, 10w-30 in the summer in all my vehicles. The car currently has 125,600 miles on it.

Thanks for reading all of this.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
oil consumption:

how old it the PCV? and is it a OEM?

(cleaning some does not help, the springs get old and do not produce the tension they once did).

and before exploring other avenues, spending $14-20 on a new PCV valve is helpful in eliminating it as the cause.

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed, 2014 Outback Premium 2.5L CVT
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea, I've never replaced it and as far as I know it never has been since we have owned the car. We have owned it 2 years now and put about 16k miles on it. I'll just go ahead and order a new one, can't hurt for sure. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts