Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an 08 XT with a transmission that doesn't want to shift past 3rd gear. Either in sports shift nor automatic mode.

The car has over 300k kms in the clock and I have zero paper work on the history. I assume it is the original transmission but really who knows. I bought the car a few months back on an auction for cheap and as soon as I picked it up the transmission was slipping fairly hard.

I took it for a flush and had them add Lucas incase it smoothed out short term. At least until I decided whether or not not to keep it. I drove it around for less than 2 weeks before hitting the issue of not going through the gears.

I do also own another 08 but a 3.0 which had its transmission rebuilt. This cost me a **** ton of money and honestly I'm not happy with it either.

So based in previous experience I'd prefer to try and get a used transmission with lower kms, rather than get another rebuild.

The TLDR here is this. My current transmission model number is TG5D7CWEBA. What options do I have for other model replacements? Will an 08/09 3.0r transmission be compatible? Is there a JDM equivalent model number that is plug and play?

Im looking to get something that is bolt on. I'd rather not swap out the rear diff and get a lgt for example. The final gear is 4.44.

·
Registered
2008 3.0R
73 Posts
also interested in this info. i believe that the VDC transmissions were different than non-VDC cars (so the 08-09 VDC will be specific to what you need)

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Your final gear is actually 3.272. The 5EAT never came in a 4.444 ratio. Compatible units are from the USDM MY2008-09 3.0R and XT. NO LEGACY GT.

But for direct swap-in ability, you're stuck to USDM MY2008-09 as the valve body was redesigned to work with the SI drive (you should also have the rev-match upshifts IIRC).

I assume the "Sport" light will flash/blink at you when it fails to hit 4th gear? Have you tried pulling any codes via the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
OP gave mileage in kms, maybe this vehicle isn't USDM? @tartan.nikes?
Good call. I did assume is was North America (Canada), however, as I wasn't sure the XT was offered elsewhere in that year range... (at least not in the JDM. OBK was 3.0 or 2.5 NA only)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts