Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 172,000 miles I will finally be removing the engine to replace the factory head gaskets. Whats been just a wet spot on the block for about the last 60,000 miles has finally turned into a dime sized spot on the garage floor if it sits for a while. While I'm doing the gaskets and resurfacing the heads I just want a list of other things to tackle while the engine is out. So far I've done the timing belt at 90k, and a new clutch at 160k (not because the clutch was slipping but for the bad throw out bearing subaru uses), both front cv boots tore and were replaced, all new wheel bearings whenever they went out, valve cover gaskets around 80k, new pcv valve, spark plugs and radiator flush. So here's my list of things to do while its out. Any other suggestions?

Head gaskets (going with the 11044AA642 unless i need the 11044AA770 I still haven't found a clear answer as to which one to use with the 09. Going off looks it think the 642.
Intake gaskets
cam seals
new head bolts
spark tube seals
water pump
water pipe o rings
timing belt
serpentine belts
valve cover gaskets
spark plugs
plug wires
dipstick o rings
02 sensors

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
731 Posts
So after 172,000 miles I will finally be removing the engine to replace the factory head gaskets. Whats been just a wet spot on the block for about the last 60,000 miles has finally turned into a dime sized spot on the garage floor if it sits for a while. While I'm doing the gaskets and resurfacing the heads I just want a list of other things to tackle while the engine is out. So far I've done the timing belt at 90k, and a new clutch at 160k (not because the clutch was slipping but for the bad throw out bearing subaru uses), both front cv boots tore and were replaced, all new wheel bearings whenever they went out, valve cover gaskets around 80k, new pcv valve, spark plugs and radiator flush. So here's my list of things to do while its out. Any other suggestions?

Head gaskets (going with the 11044AA642 unless i need the 11044AA770 I still haven't found a clear answer as to which one to use with the 09. Going off looks it think the 642.
Intake gaskets
cam seals
new head bolts
spark tube seals
water pump
water pipe o rings
timing belt
serpentine belts
valve cover gaskets
spark plugs
plug wires
dipstick o rings
02 sensors
The oil pressure sensors mounted on the heads will probably need replacing too. (1 for for each side)The seals went bad on my 2008 carefull not to over tighten these as the may crack the where it mounts on the head.

Is there something going on with the exhaust that is causing you to replace the. O2 sensors ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,692 Posts
It's mostly complete on your list. With the timing belt change, also replace the tensioner and the idler bearings.

And this is the first head gasket work? I don't know of any Gen 3 H4 2.5i NA that has made it this far on the original HGs without needing replacement; you might well hold the record so far!

Failure log here:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes original head gaskets. I’ve owned the car since new and besides what I mentioned in the first post I just kept up with the regularly scheduled maintenance knowing that I would have to do them eventually. Timing belt was replaced with a whole kit at 90k and I plan on doing a whole kit this time around.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
922 Posts
I used the FEL-PRO HS26415PT1 kit which has a lot of the things you'll replace while you're already in there. It's $80 more than the MLS headgaskets themselves so it may be cheaper to buy the additional parts piecemeal.
As mentioned, timing belt tensioners and all pulleys for the TB plus crankshaft seal, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat. The water pump is optional and only if you get another Asin pump. If you use a Chinese pump, be prepared to replace it within the next 5 years (I made that mistake with a Chinese built pump that was part of the AC Delco TB kit, it started leaking after 4 years). Of course, while you are removing them, you might as well replace the accessory belts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like a reasonably full list, only thing I would add is a oil seperator plate gasket. 2nd the Aisin timing belt kit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve got the parts for the oil seperator plate, was going to do it with the clutch but saw no signs of leaking but I’ll do it anyway. Did the real main deal with clutch, saw signs of seeping. Doing the front crankshaft seal this time. Got a Subaru water pump, all parts I went with genuine oem for that matter.
And just as I was about to sing praises for the reliability so far I’m dead on the side of the road with what is reading a bad cam position sensor so waiting on a tow home. Engine just died on the freeway will crank but no starting so added the sensor to my order.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
And just as I was about to sing praises for the reliability so far I’m dead on the side of the road with what is reading a bad cam position sensor so waiting on a tow home. Engine just died on the freeway will crank but no starting so added the sensor to my order.
Bummer, sorry to hear that. Any codes thrown?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
The timing belt is behind the cover. The cover is behind those accessory belts.
No, OP's image shows the broken timing belt cover and through the gap you can see the grooves facing outward, just as he described.

Since the engine had been running when this happened, this is not at all good.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
731 Posts
No, OP's image shows the broken timing belt cover and through the gap you can see the grooves facing outward, just as he described.

Since the engine had been running when this happened, this is not at all good.
Oops my bad.. i didnt notice the cracked cover. Cranking it to get it started again is not going to help either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea going about 75 down the highway. So worst case is I have some bent valves. I’m going to pull the heads anyway. My question is are the heads themself going to be bad now or can I just have the bad valves replaced resurface the deck and call it a day?

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
777 Posts
Yea going about 75 down the highway. So worst case is I have some bent valves. I’m going to pull the heads anyway. My question is are the heads themself going to be bad now or can I just have the bad valves replaced resurface the deck and call it a day?
Most likely will be able to just get new valves. Might have some minor nicks on the piston but that won't be a big deal.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts