Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 2009 Subaru Outback Special 2.5i with 98k miles. Only thing wrong slight leak from oil pan gasket and will have mechanic repair. One and a half year ago previous owner at 83k miles replaced power steering pump, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets at Subaru Dealer. They installed gaskets part#11044AA633 single layered. I found from research it is better to use the MLS or FelPro, etc. but previous owner didn't request.

Question: How long do I have before the heads leak again? Was the original 83k a good estimate to hope for? One reputable independent subaru repair shop said that if the Dealer didn't resurface the cylinder heads (which I don't think they did), I will be lucky to get 30k miles on them..?

Any help/suggestions?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
no one can say I don't think - suppose the previous owner neglected to correct some low coolant-related problem or a bad radiator fan and allowed the car to overheat, compromising the head gaskets? Suppose the single layer gasket used by the dealer is an upgraded design?

way too many variables

it's a 9 year old car, something will break

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
updated title.

some of these go bad right away.
(possibly from dealer monkeys that really screwed the job with more then just original #633 gaskets)

____

but I guess yours has not gone bad yet. so. keep watch. but don't worry.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
533 Posts
(1) Please change coolant every 30K miles with OEM coolant and coolant conditioner.

(2) Please keep an eye on top hose. I found that it is possible to clog the radiator overflow tank return hose and create a vacuum in the radiator. This will cause the top hose to collapse. There is a post saying that you have cut the bottom of that hose to reduce the clogging of the radiator return hose.

If you take care of the above two, I think that you can last a long time on single layer OEM head gasket. My 10 year old 08 Outback is still on factory head gaskets.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback, 2008 Outback
25 Posts
Question: How long do I have before the heads leak again? Was the original 83k a good estimate to hope for? One reputable independent subaru repair shop said that if the Dealer didn't resurface the cylinder heads (which I don't think they did), I will be lucky to get 30k miles on them..?

Any help/suggestions?[/QUOTE]

we only got about 4yrs before ours went out again. probably 40-50,000 miles.
went to a diff mechanic that knows what he's doing and expect to get 100,000
miles and then retire the car ;)
good luck,
jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts