Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2.5i Subaru Outback 2009
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 09 OB I purchased awhile back and have been sorting through has finally revealed the oil leak I've been looking for, and it might explain the "whining" noise I hear when I reverse. The Rear Case is leaking where is joins to the 5MT.

I have recently replaced water pump, timing belt & related pulleys, serpentine belts, and crankshaft position sensor. My next step was to change fluids in front 5MT/diff & rear diff then tackle the soldering for my airbag light concerning the overhead console.

I'm confident I can get this done just wondering why somebody wouldn't use a gasket with gasket sealer. Lol what a junk job. My first instinct is to check and see if bolts are torqued to spec at 27.5 ftlb but I'm thinking I don't want to waste all that precious Subie Gear Oil.

Hear some pictures to see what I'm working with, done left me scratching my head lol

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
There is a gasket you can buy to seal that up, no gasket is used from factory, I’ll have to find p/n later apparently also helps with the tight tolerance of the rear bearings.

·
Registered
2.5i Subaru Outback 2009
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a gasket thats suppose to be OEM off of Subaru Warehouse Parts. Of course with virus out break in all I will get gasket way before my lube

·
Registered
2.5i Subaru Outback 2009
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so I had a misunderstanding of what I was looking at when I got gasket. I order rear case gasket but it was for the tanny mating side NOT the center diff side.... so I called my parts dealer and was informed that there is NO gasket for this as timberwolf 99 said.

So apparently gray rtv is used. Not pleased. Lol took awhile to take apart cuz all the rusty bolts. What a pain.

A tuff plastic putty knife or pry bar is recommended for sure. But got the job down. Letting gray RTV set over night before I finish with the tranny fluid change.

I will get some pics of finished project tomorrow.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
You can get a gasket for it I’ve fitted two at seperate times, next time I’m in the shed I’ll try and find the P/N. Was just saying that from factory there is no gasket fitted.

·
Registered
2.5i Subaru Outback 2009
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get a gasket for it I’ve fitted two at seperate times, next time I’m in the shed I’ll try and find the P/N. Was just saying that from factory there is no gasket fitted.
Oh ok. Well dang. The lady at the Subaru parts dealer was saying something different.

If you can find the number, thanks, cuz if this joker leaks again I might get irritated lol.

·
Registered
2.5i Subaru Outback 2009
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

All back together. I let it rest all night before adding fluids. Cleaned it up real good. I'm confident it won't leak...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts