Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aah, crapola ... didn't see something in a garage and have a punched in (dent, not broken plastic, but with scrapes on paint) Rt. rear bumper corner on my '09 OB Ltd.

I think it's too deep to pop itself out (as I have seen happen at times).

Anyone know what the ballpark cost is to (a) pop out the corner and not repaint it?, or (b) replace the bumper cover (color is Gold metallic)? I don't think it's worth popping it out and repainting, if I'm gonna do that may as well put a new cover on it. Other thoughts than those 2 options?

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
2013 2.5 CVT Limited Outback Graphite Grey
41 Posts
Had a 08 and was playing in the snow at work in the lot and rear end was sliding toward a little snow bank that would not have hurt but someone left a small backhoe bucket in it and it did hurt :( my wallet anyway,damage was a softball sized dent to the cover only. I used a heat gun and popped it out the best I could but it bugged me so I got it fixed.
I would have to look for the paper work but ballparking it I think I paid $325 ish for the unfinished bumper cover at my dealership and got the cover painted at a local shop for $200.00 and installed myself which was a gravy job.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,464 Posts
There are good body shops that can repair the plastic bumpers without replacement. Check on a Google search in your area on bumper repair and see what pops up. I had my rear one painted when it got hit by a Honda for $200, but that was a new one. Plan on $150-300 depending on the dent size.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all... I'd rather repair than replace even if paint's not perfect.

Any tips or tricks on getting the bumper cover off that you remember? I haven't looked underneath with a light in any detail to try and figure out how that cover comes off or goes back on.

A heat gun/hair dryer one thing I was thinking of, trick maybe is getting in behind the cover and getting leverage to "persuade" the dent out. It's a bigger dent, not like the small (softball sized) one my wife caused when she grazed my OB with her Tacoma on the way out the driveway (and which popped out all by itself while sitting in the sun that day).

Thanks again,
Jon

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,464 Posts
Mostly it attaches with a lot of plastic fasteners and a couple of bolts.

Post a pic of your bumper and I can give you a better idea. There are a couple variations.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
31 Posts
Aah, crapola ... didn't see something in a garage and have a punched in (dent, not broken plastic, but with scrapes on paint) Rt. rear bumper corner on my '09 OB Ltd.

I think it's too deep to pop itself out (as I have seen happen at times).

Anyone know what the ballpark cost is to (a) pop out the corner and not repaint it?, or (b) replace the bumper cover (color is Gold metallic)? I don't think it's worth popping it out and repainting, if I'm gonna do that may as well put a new cover on it. Other thoughts than those 2 options?

Thanks,
Jon
I did the same exact thing to my '09 Legacy- backed into a telephone pole and put a dent right where the reflector is. Probably a good 6" diameter dent, too.

I researched it and found that a new bumper cover was over $700. I also asked at the dealer when I had an oil change. They said they could probably heat it up and pop it out for about 1.5 hours labor (approximately $70). He said the paint may not be perfect, but it would get most of the dent out.

I ended up leaving it, figuring I would get rear-ended just after fixing it. I traded it in October- the dealer didn't even care about the dent. They resold the car the same day!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mostly it attaches with a lot of plastic fasteners and a couple of bolts.

Post a pic of your bumper and I can give you a better idea. There are a couple variations.
Here it is (ouch, hurts just looking at it):

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
722 Posts
fendertweed,

Save some dough and remove the bumper cover yourself, take the cover to a shop that can pop the corner out, prep the corner for paint, and then have them "blow in " just that corner. Just blowing in the corner will be much cheaper than doing the whole cover. I did the same job on my 06 (same body style except for the grill) last year.

Remove the rear splash guard (if the screws don't come out, grind their heads off). Don't allow too much heat to build up in the screw or you'll melt the mud flap. You can remount the flap later with over sized screws and those blind nut clips. Be aware that you'll require double-sided tape to reinstall the flap as well. You'll see where when you pull it off.

In the rear wheel arch opening (where the bumper cover meets the sheet metal) there is a 10 mm bolt that comes out.

In the inside of the rear cargo area side pockets on each side, is a quarter sized plastic plug to pull. Under neath is another 10mm nut. Put masking tape over the socket mouth when you go to take these off, to prevent losing them into the bottom of the rear fenders. The tape will jamb in between the nut and the socket and keep it in the socket while you remove it.

Pop the plastic covers off the side of the rear tail lights where the tailgate meets them. There are two screws to remove from the tail lights. Then pull/yank the tail lights towards the rear to overcome the plugpin hidden behind the tail light. Don't pull so far out that you rip out the wiring.

Under neath the removed tail lights are two more push pin plugs to remove from the bumper cover. Pry up the center pin an quarter inch, then wiggle out the plug.

From under the car are 5 more pushpin plugs. Then spread the sides of the bumper cover and wiggle/pull the bumper cover from the car.

When you go to put the bumper cover back on, zip tie or tape the styrofoam bumper form to the rear bash bar to keep it in position when putting on the cover.

"Blowing in" the paint saves money and time because just an area slightly larger than the damaged area is refinished. A good body man can make the repair disappear with little cost in prep time or paint, when compared to prepping and painting the entire cover. From the picture you provided it should be very easy to get an excellent paint match, since its not weathered or faded. Good Luck!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fendertweed,

Save some dough and remove the bumper cover yourself, take the cover to a shop that can pop the corner out, prep the corner for paint, and then have them "blow in " just that corner. Just blowing in the corner will be much cheaper than doing the whole cover. I did the same job on my 06 (same body style except for the grill) last year.

Remove the rear splash guard (if the screws don't come out, grind their heads off). Don't allow too much heat to build up in the screw or you'll melt the mud flap. You can remount the flap later with over sized screws and those blind nut clips. Be aware that you'll require double-sided tape to reinstall the flap as well. You'll see where when you pull it off.

In the rear wheel arch opening (where the bumper cover meets the sheet metal) there is a 10 mm bolt that comes out.

In the inside of the rear cargo area side pockets on each side, is a quarter sized plastic plug to pull. Under neath is another 10mm nut. Put masking tape over the socket mouth when you go to take these off, to prevent losing them into the bottom of the rear fenders. The tape will jamb in between the nut and the socket and keep it in the socket while you remove it.

Pop the plastic covers off the side of the rear tail lights where the tailgate meets them. There are two screws to remove from the tail lights. Then pull/yank the tail lights towards the rear to overcome the plugpin hidden behind the tail light. Don't pull so far out that you rip out the wiring.

Under neath the removed tail lights are two more push pin plugs to remove from the bumper cover. Pry up the center pin an quarter inch, then wiggle out the plug.

From under the car are 5 more pushpin plugs. Then spread the sides of the bumper cover and wiggle/pull the bumper cover from the car.

When you go to put the bumper cover back on, zip tie or tape the styrofoam bumper form to the rear bash bar to keep it in position when putting on the cover.

"Blowing in" the paint saves money and time because just an area slightly larger than the damaged area is refinished. A good body man can make the repair disappear with little cost in prep time or paint, when compared to prepping and painting the entire cover. From the picture you provided it should be very easy to get an excellent paint match, since its not weathered or faded. Good Luck!
Thanks for that great tutorial. It may be tough to get it off myself given my current logistical situation for the next several months (don't have any good working area to do this), but I may give it a shot. A local place has gotten very good reviews for this type of fix so I may check them, too. I could live with just getting it popped out but a touchup would be nice.

Thanks, that's a great job of laying it out for me.

Regards,
Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts