Subaru Outback Forums banner

09 Outback H K Sub Question

283 10
Hi, noob here, does anyone have, or know where to get the male end that goes into the hk subwoofer from an 09 Outback? I've got the setup to go into my 05 Legacy GT 4th Gen, and I'm at a loss on how to even test the polarity of the voice coils, let alone hook up speaker inputs. The unit didn't come with it cut/connected like it usually does. Thanks! The pictures are from another post to show what I need. I don't actually have the stock 09 OB wiring connector.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Audio equipment
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Gauge
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,806 Posts
To check polarity of a speaker use a small battery. If the cone moves out the polarity is correct. If the cone pulls in the positive and negative is switched.
As you look at the speaker from the rear, terminals at the bottom, (6:00 position), the positive is 99.99% of the time the terminal on the right.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The reason I told you which is pos and neg was I don't think you can get that pigtail easily. You might have to hardwire. Try some .110 female crimp connectors. They are small enough to push 1 on each pin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I also know about the polarity app on my iPhone. It sends out weird popping noises to tell you if it’s hooked up right. I believe to get that 2ohm sub up to 4ohms, I’ll only need 1 positive and 1 neg. Not all 4 wired..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Look for .110 female spade connector.

Reactions: Legacy Outbacker

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, got it! Thank you. One more question, I know there's 4 connectors in a row, does it matter which ones I connect? Meaning, on the stock connector, can I chose a far right positive, then skip the closest negative and use the next available negative? I just don't want the positive and negative to accidentally touch.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If it's a powered/self amplified sub then 2 wires will be power. 2 signal.
If it is passive/no built in amp sub then you have a dual voice coil subwoofer. Each coil will have its own load and signal. The windings in the coil determine load/resistance in ohms. I bet each has 4 ohms but I'd measure first. They may be dual 8 ohm coils wired in parallel to achieve 4 ohms.
It will matter how you wire it.
First use an ohm meter to find the coils. Then use a battery to "pop" the speaker taking note of the cones direction and +,- of battery wiring. That is for proper phasing. Phasing is not as critical in a sub but may as well do it right.
Peel back the loom the pigtail is attached to. Speaker wires are commonly twisted together. If they are, that will save some testing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much! I might actually have access to the male plug that fits into it, the guy I got it from on eBay is looking at the car he took it from. I hope that's the case, because it would make it so much easier.
Also, I've read the speaker is a dvc 2ohm. But I will do some testing.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Phasing is very critical on a dual voice coil speaker. They must match

Reactions: Legacy Outbacker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts