Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have searched and can't find it. So I am looking for a video and/or a thread that had photos of a how to for a timing belt change. I have done a couple on Older modules just want to make sure I don't miss anything. This is for a 09 outback. Please help

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
If it is DOHC, there is a special tool for it that keeps the cams/AVCS cam in place while you re-route the belt. THIS TOOL IS A MUST!!! Even with 3 dudes holding cams and routing the belt, we couldn't get it done. But with that tool, we made easy work of getting that belt back on. (And of course, I don't have a clue what the tool is called or where to get it. But mine was red, had a vertical bar that bolts could slide up and down on, and clamped between the two cams. Hope that's descriptive enough)

Lastly, if it is an automatic, you have to be able to jam the flywheel in order to knock the crank pulley bolt loose. On the bell-housing itself, there is a 2X2-inch square-ish grommet that you can remove. As you turn the crank bolt with a breaker bar, have a buddy watch in that hole until you see another hole line up. Then have him jam a hefty screw-driver down in those holes and give the crank bolt a good pull. It should break loose with the flywheel jammed.

I just did my timing belt this last weekend, so I think I will post a youtube video of some tips because I couldn't find very much useful info on it.

GOod luck!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
A pair of vicegrips LIGHTLY clamping the driver's side intake and exhaust cams together eliminates the need for the special tool, but to look up thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...106809p10.html It doesn't take much pressure to hold them.

I used two 3" 3/8 socket extension in two of the four holes on the crankshaft pulley and a Gorilla Bar 3' pry bar to hold the crankshaft pulley. There are lots of ways to hold that thing. The plug requires pulling the intercooler for the turbo, if you are so equiped. A little more work than what I did, which was super easy. Chain wrench is another option. Or what Chrome suggested if you can get to it easier enough. Then there's the old 'bump the starter' trick for loosening, but you still need to figure out how to retorque.

Tom

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yes, if you remove the radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts