Subaru Outback Forums banner

09 Outback XT maintenance or upgrade recommendations

Gen 3 
987 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Schnugee 
#1 ·
I'm a former 08' STI owner, current Outback XT owner. Roughly 135k miles, and I have some discretionary funds. I asked my local mechanic to evaluate what would be needed to keep my wagon running well for the next few years. His approach would be to order all dealership / OEM parts. From my limited experience with the heavily modded STI I purchased, I know that there are some amazing aftermarket options. I just don't know how many apply to Outbacks, as well as STIs.

As I begin my research, I thought I'd ask the community here if they have any recommendations for a quality performance shop in my region (I'm in Baton Rouge, LA) to work with, or good resources to compare the costs vs. benefits of aftermarket vs. dealership items for the following:

Timing belt, pulleys, water pump, bracket
Power Steering pump
Front suspension:
Rack & Pinion
Lower Control Arms
Ball Joints
Tie Rods (outer)

I'll need to dig through my records, but I got a great recommendation for a CV shaft supplier in the past from this community. Thank you for reading, and anything you can offer to point me in the direction of good information!

God bless,
Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
not sure about your specific year model but, generally, PS pumps are robust and if anything happens to yours, getting a used OEM from car-part.com is probably better than any typical rebuilt unti or aftermarket.There IS a problem across several years with air entrainment thru the suction hose connections and adapter on top of the pump. usually an easy fix with o-rings/clamps, etc.

www.boxer4racing.com often has had good bits for Legacy chassis models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.