Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
09 Legacy GT, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 09 Outback 2.5i
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 2009 Outback 2.5i is getting new front lower control arms, bearings, and end links this week. 230k miles on this car. The steering rack has for years leaked a small amount of fluid - enough to make a sizable spot on the garage floor. We pulled another steering rack out of a 09 2.5i this past summer from the u-pull-it. Not sure of the mileage but we are certain it is likely <<230k. Looking for advice on any seals or similar that would be good to replace before we install this rack.
Wood Automotive tire Road surface Flooring Floor

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i manual
297 Posts
I would replace both the inner and outer tie rods, along with the boots. In addition to that, I'd also replace the power steering fluid hardlines that mount on the rack itself. You can buy them from the dealer (I always do it online, it's not too expensive), and they should come with 2 little o-rings where it plugs into the rubber lines in the engine bay. You need to replace those seals or else they WILL leak.

Font Parallel Schematic Map Diagram

O-rings are #'s 34930H and 34930B (but again, they come with the new hardlines).

Even so, personally I'd get a new rack. Who knows how long the seals inside the gear box will last. Aftermarket racks work fine if you get the NEW ones, NOT the rebuilt ones. Same goes with the power steering pump. But, as is usually the case, OEM seems to last the very longest. I replaced both my rack and pump with new OEM units.

Regardless, make sure you bleed the system when you're all done!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,213 Posts
Even so, personally I'd get a new rack.
Price is $959.18 retail for what @59ctd has illustrated, which I'm guessing is why son went the way he did for a vehicle with 230k miles on it.

This I know, as I'm likely to need a new one at some point.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We did purchase the four small o-rings to seal the connections on both ends of the hardlines. The tie rods seem tight so we will give them a go and replace later if we need to. This car is gonna need an alignment since it is also getting new lower control arms, steering knuckles, bearings, and sway bar end links.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We also found a little bit of slop in the driver side front wheel bearing.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i manual
297 Posts
We did purchase the four small o-rings to seal the connections on both ends of the hardlines. The tie rods seem tight so we will give them a go and replace later if we need to. This car is gonna need an alignment since it is also getting new lower control arms, steering knuckles, bearings, and sway bar end links.

I've never rebuilt a steering rack before, otherwise I'd give you info about replacing any sort of inner seals and whatnot on the junkyard rack. I'm sorry! I'm hoping things work out well. OEM racks are pretty dang nice, used or new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts