Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking to put about a 1.5 to 2 inch lift on my 2000 OB. Ive heard of using forester suspension, and ive looked at blocks on ebay. Just wondering what other people have done, and what the cost difference is between the two options.....

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback 2.5L Manual VDC
6 Posts
I believe putting forester suspension on an OB will increase height like a spring lift would, but both make suspension travel less. If you get strut-top spacers then the suspension travel will remain stock.

Pros of strut-top spacer:
Suspension travel is the same as stock. This would be best for offroading.

Cons of strut-top spacer:
Some people complain about body roll when cornering. ADF (anderson design fab) says that it's unnoticeable at 2" of lift, that's his opinion. I don't have a lift (yet) so i cant comment on it.

Pros of a spring lift:
Stiffer ride. Not as much roll (less than stock).

Cons of a spring lift:
Will be able to lift a wheel easier while offroading.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,690 Posts
2" spacers . why bother with 1.5" ? Unless you will put harder springs they will give some lift too. But its will be worse empty and worse offroad.
No problems with driving it after same feeling. You can even disconnect rear anti roll bar and its still stays ok.
Spacers are just peace of tube and couple metal plates . nothing to it. Depends how much you wanna pay. Or overpay i would say.

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I have 1.5" lift of my 2005 obxt. I opted for the spring and spacer combo. Springs deff make for a more bouncy ride empty. Have not loaded the car up yet to see how that bounce settles down. The bounce is not that bad in my opinion. There is body roll for sure but not as bad as I expected with the car that far off the ground. Far less body roll then my wifes Jeep that sits the same height and is stock.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Cons of strut-top spacer:
Some people complain about body roll when cornering. ADF (anderson design fab) says that it's unnoticeable at 2" of lift, that's his opinion. I don't have a lift (yet) so i cant comment on it.
I can comment...

I put 2" strut spacers from ADF on my '00 Outback Ltd. wagon last autumn, along with new KYB struts & zero-lift RalliTEK springs on the rear end a couple of months ago - I had a broken spring on one side and a broken strut on t'other. While the new springs & struts have done a lot to firm up the ride, before I replaced them I noticed no extra body roll with just the strut spacers installed. I'm not saying there wasn't any roll, but I *am* saying that if there is, it's so minimal to most OBW pilots as to be non-existant. No doubt there are some drivers sensitive enough to feel it, but I'm not one of them, and I was running the OEM suspension (with over 250,000 miles on it, btw...) with the spacers for about ten thousand miles this past fall & winter.

...And if any body roll was there, the new struts & springs have completely eliminated it. I'm liking Wanderlust's ride quality so much now that I'm saving up the necessary cheese to replace the front springs & struts with KYB & RalliTEK components.

Just my $0.02. As always, YMMV...

Reactions: NutMutt

·
Registered
2009 OBW 3.0R Limited (5EAT) w/ lift & other mods
222 Posts
...And if any body roll was there, the new struts & springs have completely eliminated it. I'm liking Wanderlust's ride quality so much now that I'm saving up the necessary cheese to replace the front springs & struts with KYB & RalliTEK components.

Just my $0.02. As always, YMMV...
This has been my experience with just a 1" lift plus new KYB's and King standard height overload springs in the rear. From totally shot OEM struts to these is a huge improvement. I also replaced RSB bushings with @traildogck 75d bushings and put new endlinks on, which I'm sure helped with any roll there may have been if I had left those alone. I can't speak for having a lot of weight in the back yet, but empty there's basically no noticeable roll at all. I had thought about upgrading the RSB to a 16mm one from a LGT but I do not think that's necessary now that I have everything installed.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,690 Posts
lift spacers on bad shocks can just make it worse . if shocks are ok there is no much diff in handling car. i like it even more with rear sway bar disconnected. tried to connect it back and it felt weird now that im used to handling without rear sway bar. thats on oem shocks and oem springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts