Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been browsing this and other forums for more info about installing 1" lift spacers on my new 2009 Outback.

I've found templates for DIY HDPE (high-density polyethylene) spacer blocks, which is the route I think I would go with on account of cost, and the fact that I like tinkering around and making stuff anyway.

However, I've had a hard time finding an answer to one burning question: would installing a 1" lift like this require doing an alignment, and if so, should it vary at all from the factory spec alignment? Any tips to ensure the mechanics 'get it right' (I've had some bad alignments done in the past on other cars).

Any help/insight would be appreciated. And apologies if this question is answered in another post; I couldn't find it for all my searching.

Thanks!

:29:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Check out the ghost walk thread as far as difference in alignment or handling issues in general.

Also, please post back how that works because I have been very interested in this project when I get the money to do the other things that go with it in my case (springs and shocks)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eek. After reading more about this 'ghostwalk' issue, I definitely don't see a 1" lift in the near future.

If anything, I'll be taking 'er in for a full alignment with 200lbs of ballast in the back before winter. Holy ****. How has this issue not been officially addressed by Subaru yet?!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It has been officially addressed. Officially, it doesn't exhist and nothing is wrong. The suspension is working as designed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Spam

Just in case any of you are still contemplating a lift, the JDM Bilsteins I have for sale here on subaruoutback.org would accomodate some lift, with no front spacers. Maybe not a full inch, but some... If nothing else, with them you could reduce the size of the front spacers. They use normal USDM front tophats, or you could get a bit more lift with Spec B tophats (and use some washers or spacers beneath the topnut to accomodate the longer shaft...since Spec B tophat expects a shorter shaft).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
bradze
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing