Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any 10" tablet holder so I can use it as a GPS? Any good GPS apps that don't require data? I installed NAvfree but I don't know how good it is.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I used NavFree briefly. It wasn't that great, but good for the price :D. I remember it being buggy and didn't track very well.

I have since switched to Motion X. I don't know if it will operate without data, but it is awesome. It'll cost a little money, but it's a lot better than NavFree.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Do the google tablets have GPS without data service? That seems to be a limitation on the ipads.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. You can download the map and use if with no data. Some apps are free like Navfree and some $$.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Yes. You can download the map and use if with no data. Some apps are free like Navfree and some $$.
Well, I know a few of them let you download the maps into the device, but some of them won't show you where you are on that map unless you have data service or a separate bluetooth GPS receiver. That's the part I'm getting at.

I have an ipad without data service, it can eventually figure out where it is via wi-fi but it's far too slow for navigation purposes. There's another version of this ipad with cellular radios & GPS, it is much faster at working out where it is and which way it is going.

I get the why, what I don't know is how Google sets theirs up- do they include GPS receivers in the tablets that don't include cellular radios?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You Texan, Arkon mount looks promising.

Paulfolio- please let us now how difficult it is to mount in on the seat rail after you get it.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Eeeek! I can't believe that guy demoed it with the car in motion!

Not even a word about how the airbag might stuff that thing through his dome...

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
The Motorola Xoom pad works very well. It has GPS without needing to connect to a service. We used ours last year on a cruise in the Caribbean and was able to keep track where the ship was plus speed and heading. The wife uses it when we are traveling as a backup to my Garmin.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Well, I know a few of them let you download the maps into the device, but some of them won't show you where you are on that map unless you have data service or a separate bluetooth GPS receiver. That's the part I'm getting at.

I have an ipad without data service, it can eventually figure out where it is via wi-fi but it's far too slow for navigation purposes. There's another version of this ipad with cellular radios & GPS, it is much faster at working out where it is and which way it is going.

I get the why, what I don't know is how Google sets theirs up- do they include GPS receivers in the tablets that don't include cellular radios?
The Google Nexus 7 (Asus) has a GPS receiver built-in.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
With a deployment speed of around 200 MPH for an average airbag, that iPad will kill the driver. What a moronic application for a holder. On the other hand it may eliminate more idiots from the roads at a faster rate.:17:

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
41 Posts
I use the Sygic navigation app. Download the maps when you have data (wifi) and use w/ no data as long as you want. Works pretty well.

-Mike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts