Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I've been searching thru the forums and various sites and haven't came across anyone yet who has installed a retrofit HID kit on the OB. I've got an 11' OB and i plan on doing a retrofit on it. would love to see the work results and feedback. to my understanding OB and Legacy has the same head assembly dimensions correct me if I'm wrong. Another thing since i haven't started yet does anyone know in order to remove the assembly i have to remove the front bumper or no? thanks :D

·
Registered
2010 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMTED, TINTED WINDOWS, DVD HEADREST, REAR SWAY BAR UPGRADE
21 Posts
I did the HID retrofit on my 10' OB I did NOt take the bumper completely off the car but took all the push pins off the top by the grill and from the wheel wells and under the bumper after that it was 5 bolts and or screws and a push pin and unplug the wire harness and the light was free. done the retrofit about 2 mo. ago and loving it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the HID retrofit on my 10' OB I did NOt take the bumper completely off the car but took all the push pins off the top by the grill and from the wheel wells and under the bumper after that it was 5 bolts and or screws and a push pin and unplug the wire harness and the light was free. done the retrofit about 2 mo. ago and loving it.
hi JVC which retrofit kit did you end up with? did you have the dremmel the assembly? if you could throw some pointers my way much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2010 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMTED, TINTED WINDOWS, DVD HEADREST, REAR SWAY BAR UPGRADE
21 Posts
I did have to drill the cap on the back of the headlight but don't remember if it was 7/8" or 1" I would start with 7/8 and go from there. Wasn't that bad of a project but will take about 2 to 3 hrs. for both sides.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Hi guys I've been searching thru the forums and various sites and haven't came across anyone yet who has installed a retrofit HID kit on the OB. I've got an 11' OB and i plan on doing a retrofit on it. would love to see the work results and feedback. to my understanding OB and Legacy has the same head assembly dimensions correct me if I'm wrong. Another thing since i haven't started yet does anyone know in order to remove the assembly i have to remove the front bumper or no? thanks :D
Are you talking a full-on retrofit of projectors from another car (Lexus, Acura, etc.) or just switching out the bulbs to HID? If it's the former, then I don't think I've seen that here, but the Legacy forums might give you a better chance. If it's the latter, the link provided above is really good.

I did the latter using 4500k bulbs and they're fantastic.

Something I'm not sure of is if the stock projectors are identical to other countries' Outbacks with standard HIDs. I say this because the cutoff of the stock lenses is pretty good. There is a small amount of "squirrel finder" light that projects above the cutoff line, but it's quite minimal and doesn't spread sideways much at all.

Btw, my avatar shows the stock bulbs for headlights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THanks for all the feedback guys yeah I've done a bit of reading trying to find out how to do a full retro fit HID seems like the guys over morimoto have some great info the various shrouds and kits make it seem a bit confusing I don't want to avoid having to take off the front bumper in order to do the job. Since the 10'+ OB have projectors already it helps out a lot trying to figure whether to go with the 4300k or5000k whole process requires to take off assembly bake in a few minutes full disassemble mount on new kit (hopefully just alignment and screws) I'm also planning to give it some LED day time runners Audi style.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I haven't done a retro in our OB but I have done a retro in my Accord from the guys at TRS. Here is a link to an install done by a customer that should answer all of your questions: Legacy quik retro install

II am more than pleased with the quality of the equipment and the tech support I received from Matt and Andrew over at TRS and you should have no problems with there stuff as long as you follow their recommendations.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited, Graphite Gray & 2002 Chevy Suburban LS 2500 4x4 6.0 V-8(Retired) 2009 Chevy Suburban LS 2500 4x4 6.0
94 Posts
This guy can probably help you with retrofit

IDRVSLO: headlight modification and clearing service! - Page 2 - Subaru Legacy Forums

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.