Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I did some searching, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Well, experiencing anyway. I just noticed this for the first time a month or so ago. It doesn't happen all the time, but twice today. It seems to be under similar conditions:
When accelerating gently, there is a noticeable vibration or shudder between 4th and 5th gear. At least I think it is between 4 and 5. The feeling is almost like rumble strips but not quite as noisy. It lasts for a couple seconds.
I just had it at the dealer for an alignment and tire rotation. They said they could not reproduce the vibration. As part of any service they check a bunch of stuff, the trans fluid level as well. It was ok. I guess my question to all of you is this: Anyone experience this shudder? If so, what was the resolution? ECU flash/ trans repair/ etc? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The symptoms are not the same as what is described in your link, but I will ask them tomorrow if they can tell if it has been applied or not. Can't hurt. I honestly don't know if they looked for any ECU updates. Should have asked.
So far, I'm 1 in 136 that has had this problem.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Gonna feel for it tomorrow and hope I don't find it. Let us know. Hope it is a quick fix.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I've been out of town. I did call the dealer, but they were unable to tell me if there was a new firmware revision without hooking my car up. I guess I will be making an appointment-ugh. I hope that is all it is.
the symptoms do not fit either of the 2 Arizonaadam posted the link for. It's like the trans doesn't know weather to stay in 4 or shift to 5.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Mine shifts smooth, however last night and this am I checked my ATF - getting ready to drain and fill - and it was above the top hash hole hot and this morning it was above the hot hash hole cold. Not happy.

Hope the stealer gets to the bottome of your issue E.T. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had updates related to this issue. I also have had the shudder between 40-50mph, but it is hard to reproduce and does not happen very often.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Sorry I have been gone this long, thats what you get for having a mild winter and 2 motorcycles.....not driving a car! :D
Anyway, I finally got the car into the dealer for a safety inspection (required annually in Virginia) and asked them to check the trans out as well. They had the car for over an hour and did a test drive. Shocker: nothing to find. Not really surprising, as it has not happened to me since November. They checked the fluid level and it was fine (again, no surprise because I check it when I change the oil) and also checked the firmware revision. They verified the shift points in the programming as well.
Everything checked out fine. Unfortunately, in this case, I didn't want it to. As random as it is, I don't expect it to show up again soon. Especially since it is cold. So far it has always been warm or hot out when this has occurred. Only once when not towing. Time will tell....

·
Registered
2010 Silver 3.6R Premium
43 Posts
I had the same problem, dealer did a reflash of the trans. seems to be ok, but I notice a slight difference in the operation & response

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem with my 11 3.6r outback it doesn't do it all the time but i notice it around sixty mph accelerating slowly feel like a rumble strip mine has 23k on it.At times i thought it was the road but i think not i will have to take it in warranty runs out in December.It almost seams like when the torck converter locks up.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same problem, dealer did a reflash of the trans. seems to be ok, but I notice a slight difference in the operation & response
I have had it back it a 2nd time now, and they said everything is up to date. Unfortunately, I can't replicate it on demand for them. Do you have a revision # or something I might be able to give to my dealer?
I have the same problem with my 11 3.6r outback it doesn't do it all the time but i notice it around sixty mph accelerating slowly feel like a rumble strip mine has 23k on it.At times i thought it was the road but i think not i will have to take it in warranty runs out in December.It almost seams like when the torck converter locks up.
That is EXACTLY what I am talking about!
I'll keep ya'll posted!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still no resolution. I have since decided to sell or trade in. Probably trade because I couldn't sell to someone knowing there is an unresolved problem. I just can't take the risk of getting stranded, and race season is just around the corner. On the plus side, now I can get a larger trailer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact problem and going to dealer next week noticed it one day thought it was the road always around 40 mph and seem to be when there is a load on it like a hill ...only when going slowly once it lasted for 3 to 4 seconds know I am going to get same story from my dealer hard to reproduce but there is an issue for sure

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
888 Posts
^^^Ask them about the torque convertor issue locking up.
Where's your location?

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited/2017 black STI/2019 WRX(manual)
174 Posts

I have the same issue on our 14 3.6R. It happens most in the range of 30-45mph, and definitely around 60 mph. It is that rumble strip feeling, you can definitely feel it through the gas pedal, and sometimes the shudder feeling will make it into the cabin as well. I have had it back twice already, the 1st time, they re-learned the tranny, didn't help. 2nd trip, they looked for codes, and took it for a drive, of course no codes, and it didn't do it for them. of course on the way home it happened. At least I have it documented at this point. Have 8100 miles on it.

O

·
0 Posts
You need a torque converter replacement. My 11 OB 3.6R had very similar issues as you described. They tried a flash first but the resolution was the replacement.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited, 3.6l
32 Posts
Torque Converter

My 2011 3.6 started exhibiting the shudder on a recent trip. Having just put new tires on I got them re-balanced. Still experienced the shudder around 50 to 60 mph and sometimes even at slower speeds now. I took it to the dealer today and they were able to reproduce the problem. No big surprise as it happens every time I drive the car. At the end of the day the service adviser (real nice gal) said there was a Service Bulletin issued a long time ago to reflash the transmission but this vehicle should have had that done and in fact should have been built with a reconfigured torque converter. The dealer had the foresight to call Subaru and someone there wants them to monitor the system while driving, do a screen save and email it to them. Subaru will then tell them what to do. I hope they just go ahead and replace the toque converter now instead of later to save us all the time and trouble. Lucky it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited, 3.6l
32 Posts
Torque Converter

Yup, Subaru is recommending the dealer replace the torque converter. Of course it's not in stock anywhere local and has to be shipped from Portland, Oregon so the install won't happen until next week. The dealer put 50 miles on the car to adequately replicate the problem! Hmmmm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts