Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've come to the conclusion that my new-to-me Outback (120,000 miles) is in need of some refreshed suspension. In general it's just feeling a bit lazy and loose on bumps and turns (and some clunking I'm hoping to eliminate with my maintenance). I'm planning on the following but I'm curious if there are other common wear parts that I should be looking at replacing since I'll have everything apart?

Front and Rear Quick Struts
Front Control Arms

I've inspected the front sway bar end links, inner and outer tie rods, wheel bearings and they seem solid. I'm not too familiar with the rear suspension components on this vehicle but I did see one control arm was bent up a bit and should likely be replaced.

What other wearable parts should I replace or think about replacing with this mileage? Thanks All!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
not many folks would recommend struts other than KYB - you can take the new parts and the old assemblies to a shop to swap springs over if you want to avoid that part of the DIY process.

you will get mixed advice on replacing the strut mounts. My WRX had dry and crunchy strut mounts at ~70K miles! (but, almost all surface street miles)

inspect the rear bushing on the front lower control arm, some surface cracks are OK, even as long as 15mm, but, the mount shouldn't allow any clunking and not have see-thru cracks/voids.

if you still don't like the body roll after new struts, perhaps a heavier rear anti-sway bar would appeal to you.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought Monroe quick struts to tide me over for a year or two. All new everything even though the strut itself may not be great. I will hopefully order and have a shop rebuild the originals with higher quality kyb or better mounts and struts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts