Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 3.6R
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had already taken my OB in because the sunroof stuck open but they fixed it by reflashing the software to it. This time, the sunroof squealed and got stuck again. Luckily I could work it forward but I fear that either the sunroof's control CPU is messed up or there is a mechanical issue.

I have an appointment for the dealer to look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I had already taken my OB in because the sunroof stuck open but they fixed it by reflashing the software to it. This time, the sunroof squealed and got stuck again. Luckily I could work it forward but I fear that either the sunroof's control CPU is messed up or there is a mechanical issue.

I have an appointment for the dealer to look at it tomorrow.
Mine 2010 does the same thing when its cold out or I bend the car by parking it in a steep off camber spot.

The rubber gasket gets hard or the track gets stiff in the cold temps and causes the switch to loose its memory when it sticks.

To reprogram the switch is easy. Takes about 1 minute. When the switch looses its programming the tip up and down switch doesn't work. Only the slide switch works.

With the sunroof closed.

Give the open switch one press every time it comes to a stop (must be warm out so the slider slides) press the switch for each stop the slider stops at.

Go all the way till it stops open
Then do the same thing for the close for every stop point press the switch again go all the way till after it closes and tips up and tips down.

This process is the switch learning the stop points in the slider position. Once you get all the way back closed the tip up and tip down switch will work again along with the single touch open and close slide assuming the sun roof is warm and doesn't get hung up.

By the way our 2010 legacy has the same exact sun roof and is 100% totally fine and I can't jam it parking the car in the steep off camber spot. Wagons are very flexible and not as ridged as sedans due to their body design. Pretty sure thats a major factor. That and the cold temps impacting either the track or the rubber gasket causing the sun roof to get stuck.

Just keep pressing the open button and add one more press after its totally open, then do the same for the close. The dealer tech showed me after my second visit. I had to do this about three times but its been fine since even after getting stuck once. So could just be the switch doesn't hold memory very well when the slider sticks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts