Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
'17 2.5i limited with eyesight, factory remote start
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my '17 to the dealer for it's 12k service. My jaw hit the floor when I saw their price of $219. I told them I just wanted the synthetic oil change and tire rotation and got out of there for $100. I'll do the cabin filter myself and engine filter when needed. I told them fuel treatment at 12k? You gotta be kidding me. I only use top tier fuel anyway. I know the anti-bacterial spray is pretty much snake oil unless you have a problem.

This was what they had on their sheet:

"Intermediate maintenance"
service at for 2014 and older 15k, 45k, 75k
for 2015 and newer: 12k, 24k, 36k, 48k, 72k, 84k

• Change oil and filter
  • Install BG Deposit Control Service Kit
  • Rotate tires, adjust pressure, check tire wear
  • Replace cabin air filter and apply BG Frigi Fresh anti-bacterial spray
  • Perform Battery Service and install battery protective pads
  • Inspect engine air filter
  • Multi point inspection
  • Review maintenance action plan

Their Major maintenance package is 619, not counting coolant or alignment.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Huh, just had an oil change and rotation done for $25 on my Honda by a local dealer. I provided a 5qt jug of synthetic motor oil ($12 after rebate at Walmart) and a Honda OEM oil filter from their own parts department ($8) for them.

Haven't gotten to first oil change on the Subaru yet, but it better not be $100!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Tip this applies to all Auto shops. Never say “I need xxxx mile service how much?”

You need to say “oil change” how much?

Service packages are basically just green light to make up a list of BS with a silly price tag.

Even in super expensive crazy 10% Tax CA a typical oil change is $80-$90 at most.

In your owners folder there is a itemized service list. When an item is needed you ask for that exact item and get an exact price. Hint everything under 100,000 is no more than $300 max for the more costly items. Last I checked both my Subarus including oil changes, major service items have cost no more than $2200 over 100,000 miles. Especially if you dont have a timing belt service required.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,780 Posts
you can do much of that yourself or have it done at an independent garage. Magnusson-Moss Act allows you to maintain warranty requirements outside of the dealership.

And the burden of proof is on the manufacturer if there is a warranty denial. (that is; dealer: "OOOhhh you have rod knock and we have no record of you changing the oil." , you: "Ah, but here's the receipts from XYZ Lube." - you're covered.)

·
Registered
'17 2.5i limited with eyesight, factory remote start
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can do much of that yourself or have it done at an independent garage. Magnusson-Moss Act allows you to maintain warranty requirements outside of the dealership.

And the burden of proof is on the manufacturer if there is a warranty denial. (that is; dealer: "OOOhhh you have rod knock and we have no record of you changing the oil." , you: "Ah, but here's the receipts from XYZ Lube." - you're covered.)
I am aware of that, despite the dealer telling me when I bought it that all work had to be done at a dealer for the warranty to be honored! I said there's a federal law that states the opposite but didn't know the name. This is my first ever new car and at least until the factory warranty expires (I did not get the extended one) I want to be uber cautious and do it at the dealer.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT
126 Posts
Welcome to the $tealer. Please turn you pockets inside out and bend over.

Change oil and filter $$
Install BG Deposit Control Service Kit Whatever this is.
Rotate tires, adjust pressure, check tire wear My guy includes it in oil change.
Replace cabin air filter and apply BG Frigi Fresh anti-bacterial spray This is a DIY most times. Overpriced at dealer.
Perform Battery Service and install battery protective pads Your battery is on it's last legs when it came from factory.
Inspect engine air filter Hope there's no charge for this. Simple DIY.
Multi point inspection Should be free.
Review maintenance action plan Should be part of service.

DIY isn't for some people but many auto parts stores will install new air filters. Much cheaper than dealer.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I have never bought extended warrant on my Subarus. First off they are crazy high priced for the coverage you get and the umm fairly low tech uncomplicated car that it is. For example my $35,000 invoice Ford Plugin Hybrid with cooled/ventalated seats, heated steering wheel, costly and anoying Ford Sync, complicated hybrid engine systems, battery, chargers, all alluminum suspension. The warranty was $1200 for 6yrs/125,000.

The best 100k warranty deal for Subaru hover around $1300-$1400. On a far cheaper less complicated platform.

As for dealer only items to avoid any kind if warranty drama? Your 60k cvt inspection which should just be a drain fill max a $300 job. The rest you can have local Jo do it keep recipts and write the date done and where right on your service book intial, note mileage etc. I change my own oil and simply write the mileage / date and my initials in my service book.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
One last thing. Not a single dealer balances your tires during rotation. Most dont even have a tire balancing machine. Which case rotating tires without balancing them is pointless. Find your local respected tire shop where your next tires will be bought and have them do your rotations correctly.

·
Premium Member
18,780 Posts
I stopped keeping up with it recently, but I have 2-3 dealer entries and PAGES of my own entries at the my.subaru service pages on line.

like this (formatting lost);

61,463 mile service
Completed 04/30/2011
Service Information
Interval:
Provider:
self
Mileage:
Service Notes
Intake air fltr., synth. eng oil and fltr., synth, front and rear diff. oil., topped off battery and windshld washer, cabin air filter; will also change cabin air filter soon;

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
A dealer’s intent is to take as much money from you as possible at all times. This is like a law of nature.

I only go to the dealer if all other options are off the table. The dealer will never be performing oil changes, tire rotations, fluid checks, filter changes, battery changes, etc., on my car, even if offered for free. I do not need them discovering problems or up-selling me.

I trust my personal service more than the dealer, and I am just a regular guy who has learned basic car maintenance over the years via Youtube, Internet forums, manuals, etc. Something as basic as an oil change, a tech in a hurry can easily over-torque my oil drain plug. Later on, why is my car leaking oil? And how am I sure they used the highest quality synthetic oil and the highest quality filter? Etc.

For reference, I have a 2002 Ford Escape with 140k miles on it. It has only gone back to the dealer for one recall. It still runs like a healthy cat.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts

The burden of proof is initially on the owner. My son see's this on a daily basis. Vehicle comes in with an engine failure. Warranty company asks to see receipts for maintenance. Many owners do not bother to save them. Sorry Mr. Owner, warranty claim denied.

Magnusson-Moss gets tossed around on motor vehicle forums all the time. But to be valid owners do have some obligations on their side.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Depending on the region you live in, the first 4 oil changes and tire rotations are free under the 'Subaru Share the Love' program. Getting ready to bring mine in for free service #3.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The burden of proof is initially on the owner. My son see's this on a daily basis. Vehicle comes in with an engine failure. Warranty company asks to see receipts for maintenance. Many owners do not bother to save them. Sorry Mr. Owner, warranty claim denied.

Magnusson-Moss gets tossed around on motor vehicle forums all the time. But to be valid owners do have some obligations on their side.
Very true except that major failures on new cars ie under 60k are easily identified. No oil changes or lack of fluid checks is easily identified. Faulty parts also easily identified. Vehicle abuse ie incorrect use is also pretty easy to identify. No doubt many vehicle operators try to claim warranty work for the above. Warranty denial for legit issues rarely ever happens with Auto Maker involvement. Dont confuse that with 3rd party Dealer interest in doing low to zero or even shop profit loss performing fixed price warranty repairs.

Dealers “hate” warranty work period!!!! Warranty jobs have low fixed reimbursement values. Most are even income loss jobs. Especially if it means fewer Dealer Service packages performed due to less shop time available to perform $200 12,000 mile oil changes ?

·
Premium Member
18,780 Posts
point taken about 'proof' above.

But, after I show the correct service grade oil was used and put in per the schedule in the owner's manual - it would THEN fall to the manufacturer to prove having the work done elsewhere led to a rod bearing failure. The closer an owner sticks to specified schedules and materials listed in the manual, the less likely a warranty challenge will occur.

I get that manufacturers are in a tight spot, some kid mods his WRX, blows it up racing, takes the mods off/out, returns to the dealer and says; "I dunno it just stopped". I'm sure that happens on occasion. But it's equally disingenuous (and maybe fraudulent) to insist a car be serviced at the dealership - or call folks up and accelerate the maintenance schedule with scary words like 'severe duty' or 'we highly recommend this for our area....' or 'we're seeing problems when folks wait...' w'ever. But just because I use a Fram filter instead of Roki... please, you bring on your engineering report and I'll bring on mine - or better, how about everyone just be adults. makers don't need the bad publicity from 'unreasonable' warranty denials. At the same time, if you try something stupid - you will run out of lawyers before they do.

if the OP has other dealerships nearby, maybe phoning around before scheduling the next service could find a better price.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Warranty denial for legit issues rarely ever happens with Auto Maker involvement.
Happens all the time. Just read through the Corvette/Camaro/Silverado forums.

GM denies claims on a regular basis. Just read of one in the last couple of weeks. Owner had a '17 Corvette with an engine that grenaded at 37k miles. GM discovered factory tune had been replaced. Sorry Charlie no new engine for you.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Happens all the time. Just read through the Corvette/Camaro/Silverado forums.

GM denies claims on a regular basis. Just read of one in the last couple of weeks. Owner had a '17 Corvette with an engine that grenaded at 37k miles. GM discovered factory tune had been replaced. Sorry Charlie no new engine for you.
This is a subaru forum. Not a GM forum.

A big reason Subaru does well is because they fix flawed cars. Even out of warranty they do this. Its called doing the right thing. Any business that does this reaps customer loyalty in spades.

GM, Ford and Chrysler have decades long company practices that have played the US against Them game. Its ingrained into the Company Culture. They also
Sell 100,000’s if more vehicles than Subaru to a much broader consumer demographic. GM and Ford sell more product to what would be high risk subprime consumers. As such company culture has too many examples of customers working the system for the culture to shift to the level Subaru can operate at.

Lets face it when your buyer statistics are overwhelmingly Advanced Degree, cash buyers its far easier to have a supportive customer culture. The risk level of being duped is lower.

·
Premium Member
18,780 Posts

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Lets face it when your buyer statistics are overwhelmingly Advanced Degree, cash buyers its far easier to have a supportive customer culture. The risk level of being duped is lower.
And your source for this statement is?

Other than my wife, the vast majority folks I know with advanced degrees are driving vehicles from more upscale auto makers.

Make no mistake about it Subaru does deny claims when owners cannot provide service documentation.

My son works for CarMax. He sees cars from every auto maker. When vehicles are still under factory warranty, CarMax transfer them to the appropriate auto maker for repair.

Engines/transmissions fail way more than most people realize, even the beloved Subaru, and all auto makers, including Subaru, routinely ask for proof of service before they automatically rebuild/replace failed drive train components.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,730 Posts
[Warranty denial] happens all the time.
This is a subaru forum. Not a GM forum.
I have seen a standard one-page form that Subaru dealer service departments are supposed to use to notify SOA whenever they encounter a Subaru vehicle with "Aftermarket Modifications, Accident/Flood Damage, Salvage Title, or Aftermarket Extended Service Contracts." I infer that these conditions might possibly affect warranty coverage for some malfunctions, or at least increase SOA's scrutiny of any warranty claim.
[Footnote:]
Dealers are reminded of their obligation under the Subaru Dealer Agreement to clearly and conspicuously identify, in writing, to their customers that vehicle alterations have been made using other than Genuine Subaru Parts and accessories and stating that the non-Genuine Parts and accessories will not be afforded warranty coverage by SOA. Additionally, dealers are obligated to furnish SOA (or if applicable, SNE or SDC) with the vehicle identification numbers of all vehicles that have experienced unauthorized modifications.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
And your source for this statement is?

Other than my wife, the vast majority folks I know with advanced degrees are driving vehicles from more upscale auto makers.

Make no mistake about it Subaru does deny claims when owners cannot provide service documentation.

My son works for CarMax. He sees cars from every auto maker. When vehicles are still under factory warranty, CarMax transfer them to the appropriate auto maker for repair.

Engines/transmissions fail way more than most people realize, even the beloved Subaru, and all auto makers, including Subaru, routinely ask for proof of service before they automatically rebuild/replace failed drive train components.
All warranty work requires looking at the vehicle history. Dont take this the wrong way but Carmax is just a chain used car lot, with a engineered image. Its a reseller of used product. The business model is based on volume/cash flow vs realestate cost/value. In the end Carmax company value will largely be based on its Realestate holdings. The cars are just cash flow generation.

Warranty coverage on a reseller held car is harder to to get, vs an original owner simply wanting a faulty part replaced.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts