Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my transmission felt like it slipped. As soon as it kicked in leaving a red light all of a sudden my "AT Oil Temp", "BRAKE", and my traction icon were all illuminated and stayed that way.

I took my car into my dealer and they could not get any clear info through diagnostics. They contacted Subaru and they were having issues as well, from what i was told. They then charged me another Diagnostics Fee as they were going to start taking apart the car to get in and see if they can figure it out.

Tonight they called and said they found the problem and that my entire Valve Body needs to be replaced. I do not know a lot about cars so i apologize for my ignorance. The woman who called said she was unable to verify if this issue and fix was going to be covered under the extended CVT warranty issued by Subaru, adding "from what i am reading, because of your mileage (117,500) it probably is not covered, but we will see."

From all my reading and understanding of the extended warranty, I feel that it clearly states: regardless of mileage. Has anyone had similar issues or troubles? Ive searched a lot to see if Valve Body was covered under CVT extended warranty (again, i do not know much about cars) and i couldnt find anything specifically stating that.

Any input or help is appreciated. Im not sure who I should involve if my dealer is trying to weasel money out of me. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Subaru is known for just doing the right thing on these failures that shouldn’t really be happening. To be safe contact SOA directly vin# dealer name, be nice let them know you like the car but worried about an expensive failure.

Not all dealers contact SOA given the repair / reimbursement $ to the dealer can be a shop loss vs say charging the vehicle owner a stupid high repair cost. By contacting SOA your self ensures Subaru will ask the dealer what gives? If they have not been contacted.

Did you do a drain fill on the cvt at the dealer prior to this?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
updated thread title.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Per uour other post regardless of the Dealer send SOA a contact message vin#, dealer name / location. Let them know you like the car but really worried about an expensive major cvt failure at just over 100k.

Dont assume the Dealer is doing this for you.

Did you do a drain fill on the cvt at the dealer before this point? Or is it original fluid?

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
I believe the TSB on the warranty extension said the coverage was for 100,000 miles on the odometer or one year from the date of the letter, whichever was longer. The text of the letter is here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...warranty-extension-2010-15-a.html#post4906401

10 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date. Vehicles that have already exceeded those limits are covered for one year from the date of notice. I imagine the valve body should be covered under that extension.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
@hallux is correct. The coverage is for 10 years or 100,000 miles, or in the event you're over 100k, you have 1 year from the time the letter was sent to you. These letters just started going out last June/July/August 2017, so you should be ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: SOA to the rescue!

The dealership finally called me back yesterday after 4 days of trying to "figure out" if the replacement of the Valve Body and the harness were going to be covered. They told me it was not covered due to my mileage. I replied to them about my letter stating "regardless" of mileage. The Subaru DEALER said they had never seen this letter but spoke with multiple people at Subaru and they said the same thing about no coverage.

Fix was estimated at $1,582.00. After I hung up i called Subaru customer service and a very nice representative names Julie answered and told me bluntly right away that the repair is 100% covered and then asked for the dealer info to call them to ask why 1) they are telling me it was not covered and 2) to find out who the dealer supposedly spoke with about the issue at Subaru. Julie from SOA called me back within an hour and told me she had spoken to the dealer and they are now aware they need to fix it under warranty coverage and then gave the dealer the Warranty Claims phone number.

I dont know who my dealer, Grossinger Motors, was calling but Julie informed me it was not the correct place as the service manager stated "I didnt know that phone number" when he was given the Warranty Claims number. I dont understand what dealer wouldnt have that info or never heard of the Subaru CVT warranty extension but in any case it will all be fixed and the dealer can claim ignorance however i feel like it was a failure of due diligence on their part.

Thanks again for your replies and suggesting contacting Subaru. Excellent customer service experience with them.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
This is why you never assume the Dealer is in contact with the Auto Maker.

Some inside shop info. Complex warranty jobs are always a shop profit loss. The nature of how 3rd party dealers get reimbursed encourages Dealers (all brands) to fudge it by not reporting warranty jobs that can be umm easily miss led and vehicle owners billed enough to be a profitable shop job.

So regardless of brand if you have a faulty part that leads to a big failure always contact the Auto maker directly dont assume the Dealer is motivated to do it for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts