Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, took my car in to get a warranty issue checked out and also told the tech about a minor weird transmission behavior. the tech took the car for a drive and said "something's wrong w/ your transmission". anyway, this is besides the point...

long story short, i left my car there to be looked at. dealership gave me a '13 OB 4 cylinder loaner (w/ cvt)(same mileage as my car). drove the loaner home. 2 mi's down the road/fwy i noticed how much better damped this car feels vs my car. not a minor improvement. i'm talking HUGE difference. at first i thought my heavier 3.6, 6 cylinder engine was the difference but the main problem i have on my car is the rear suspension. this car's suspension actually exhibited damping properties. my car doesn't. something is definitely wrong w/ my car. i called the dealership to let them know to check my suspension out again because the loaner & my car shouldn't handle so differently from a damping standpoint.

anyone else w/ this problem may want to go to your dealership and test drive an identical car to see if there's a difference.

duckboy

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, took my car in to get a warranty issue checked out and also told the tech about a minor weird transmission behavior. the tech took the car for a drive and said "something's wrong w/ your transmission". anyway, this is besides the point...

long story short, i left my car there to be looked at. dealership gave me a '13 OB 4 cylinder loaner (w/ cvt)(same mileage as my car). drove the loaner home. 2 mi's down the road/fwy i noticed how much better damped this car feels vs my car. not a minor improvement. i'm talking HUGE difference. at first i thought my heavier 3.6, 6 cylinder engine was the difference but the main problem i have on my car is the rear suspension. this car's suspension actually exhibited damping properties. my car doesn't. something is definitely wrong w/ my car. i called the dealership to let them know to check my suspension out again because the loaner & my car shouldn't handle so differently from a damping standpoint.

anyone else w/ this problem may want to go to your dealership and test drive an identical car to see if there's a difference.

duckboy

·
Registered
DBA-BRF EZ36D SAP
16 Posts
this car's suspension actually exhibited damping properties. my car doesn't. something is definitely wrong w/ my car.
duckboy
Can you elaborate on that?
Better damping, as in a more compliant ride over uneven surfaces/bumps?
What is it that your 3.6 is not doing right?

Just curious.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Maybe one of the rears struts is blown. Dude, seriously, ditch them for a set of aftermarket KYBs.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Unfortunately Subaru uses KYB to make the OEM shocks, which is a company not known for quality products. Would not be outside the box for you to have a bad one from the get go.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Valorage,

sorry was in a rush when i wrote it.
- shocks are supposed to dissipate kinetic energy. whether it's the wheel accelerating up or down from the car, or the chassis moving up or down from the wheel, the shocks are supposed absorb and dissipate that kinetic energy and slowly reduce the relative velocity. an underdamped shock does not do this and the kinetic energy is felt as a jolt/jarring/shudder/crash/harsh feeling. a well damped shock will transmit only a firm "push" or barely a "thump". hard to describe. have to feel it to understand it.
- the 4 cyl OB loaner exhibits the good behaviors of having well damped shocks. smooth, controlled body motions and smooth firm bump absorption. bumps don't feel jarring or harsh.

does this help?

Can you elaborate on that?
Better damping, as in a more compliant ride over uneven surfaces/bumps?
What is it that your 3.6 is not doing right?

Just curious.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reddoak,
i bought the '10-'12 kyb's but haven't had a chance to install them yet. after driving this OB loaner, i'm going to make sure SoA acknowledges the discrepant shocks and replaces them under warranty. the challenge is now getting the service mgr to realize the problem. they previously claimed my car handled like all the rest. this is now obviously not the case. based on how my whole car rides, all 4 shocks are bad. i'm basically not giving my loaner back until they fix my car. my car doesn't feel safe at all. this is a liability.

Maybe one of the rears struts is blown. Dude, seriously, ditch them for a set of aftermarket KYBs.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it feels like SoA or KYB missed the shock specs all together on all 4 shocks. shocks aren't leaking. seems like a bad design or quality control.

Unfortunately Subaru uses KYB to make the OEM shocks, which is a company not known for quality products. Would not be outside the box for you to have a bad one from the get go.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

being that i'm going to get SoA to replace my shocks, i/we may never know if the '10-'12 kyb's are compatible w/ a '13.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
being that i'm going to get SoA to replace my shocks, i/we may never know if the '10-'12 kyb's are compatible w/ a '13.
They are compatible but require different spring seats and different springs. With some help I have cross referenced all the part numbers....search....its on a thread from a few mo ths back.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
duckboy, were you able to drive a different '13 3.6R to see if it displayed the same characteristics. Maybe you just got a bad part, not a bad car?

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
subyblue,

i haven't had a chance to drive a '13 3.6r OB as i got the 4 cyl loaner and was headed home (55 mi's away). yah it's probably just 4 bad struts & shocks. my car should be good. although, something's wrong w/ my transmission too. dealer and SoA don't know what it is at the moment. also troublesome on my car are my front exterior window dust seals. they don't contact and swipe the window.

duckboy, were you able to drive a different '13 3.6R to see if it displayed the same characteristics. Maybe you just got a bad part, not a bad car?

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
subyblue,

i haven't had a chance to drive a '13 3.6r OB as i got the 4 cyl loaner and was headed home (55 mi's away). yah it's probably just 4 bad struts & shocks. my car should be good. although, something's wrong w/ my transmission too. dealer and SoA don't know what it is at the moment. also troublesome on my car are my front exterior window dust seals. they don't contact and swipe the window.
Thanks. Given the many parts that make up a car, it's amazing to me that so many of them work so well. Sometimes, though, they don't. We had an experience with a bad run of Chryslers that had to have their engines replaced--fleet operations. And then there are all those recalls. Not just Subaru, but every manufacturer has experience them.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
35 Posts
Hope that's the case.. What you should do is test drive a 3.6 and compare how it drives. If its way different tell the tech to test drive yours then the 3.6 you test drove from the dealers. This would be the best way to prove to them you have a issue with your suspension.

·
Registered
DBA-BRF EZ36D SAP
16 Posts
Valorage,

sorry was in a rush when i wrote it.
- shocks are supposed to dissipate kinetic energy. whether it's the wheel accelerating up or down from the car, or the chassis moving up or down from the wheel, the shocks are supposed absorb and dissipate that kinetic energy and slowly reduce the relative velocity. an underdamped shock does not do this and the kinetic energy is felt as a jolt/jarring/shudder/crash/harsh feeling. a well damped shock will transmit only a firm "push" or barely a "thump". hard to describe. have to feel it to understand it.
- the 4 cyl OB loaner exhibits the good behaviors of having well damped shocks. smooth, controlled body motions and smooth firm bump absorption. bumps don't feel jarring or harsh.

does this help?
Thanks for taking the time to explain.

With the roads we have around here (SoCal), it's a good testbed for damping.
As others have suggested, would be interesting to hear your thoughts on another '13 3.6. I would describe my ride as a decent compromise between cushy/floaty and sport car firm. Would I want better absorption over the rough patches, maybe. But I'm happy with it for now. :)
Good luck! And please keep us updated, including the transmission woes.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
I merged your identical threads.

Please do not create the exact same thread on multiple subforums.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'll take a test ride in my friend's '13 3.6r tomorrow if there's time.

you're completely right on SoCal being a shock test haven. to me, if a car's suspension was tuned in SoCal, the shocks are probably close to magic everywhere else.

will let you know what happens...

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

With the roads we have around here (SoCal), it's a good testbed for damping.
As others have suggested, would be interesting to hear your thoughts on another '13 3.6. I would describe my ride as a decent compromise between cushy/floaty and sport car firm. Would I want better absorption over the rough patches, maybe. But I'm happy with it for now. :)
Good luck! And please keep us updated, including the transmission woes.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I'm sorry, i got to ask the stupid question...

What tire pressure are you running?

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

novablue,

on my car, i am running (F/R) 34/32 (2 psi over stk pressure). i tried running stk 32/30 but the car behaved worse from a chassis pitch and bucking perspective. tried running 36/34, but then the wheels started to bounce like basketballs on the frwy & the hood was bouncing too.

today, on the loaner, i tried the same range of tire pressure and had no hood bouncing, no excessive chassis pitching & bucking and the car still feels controlled. obviously at the lower pressures (stk), i could feel the tire carcass's moving around more but i still felt confident driving the car. my car feels scary compared to this loaner car.

I'm sorry, i got to ask the stupid question...

What tire pressure are you running?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts