Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you use and are any specialty tools needed for Subaru. I replaced gm brake parts not have not done any Subaru. When I rotated the tires it looked like it's pretty straight forward. Im going to use OE parts unless there is something better you guys recommend. How about the type of grease for the pins?

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Does it have electric parking brake? There is something funky about the rear calipers if so (just what I have read on the forums)

No big issue generally. Akebono is the OEM supplier of brakes. I like Raybestos coated rotors (so they don't show rust).

Sil Gylde is the recommended grease for the slide pins. It is known to not swell the rubber bushing on one pin. I'm sure there is some Japanese spec grease that Subaru recommends (NIGLUBE RX-2)

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
keep the rotors unless worn to below the minimum or some other issue.

OE or name brand ceramic pads should serve you well. I run Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic. Wagner is mentioned by folks also.

Mostly, avoid any 'economy' pads.

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does have the electric parking brake. Does anyone know the minimum spec on the rotors?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
I think the spec is stamped on the rotor.

spec on older cars is about 2mm under so, if there's a 1mm rim/lip at the outer circumference - inside surface and outer surface, time to consider a new rotor.

I think they 'can' last about 3 pad changes, maybe more, but, if operated under less than ideal circumstances or with more aggressive pads, it could lead to faster wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts