Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Both the low beams on my 2013 Subaru Outback 2.0D have suddenly stopped working I believe at the same time but one may have gone before the other. I have checked the fueses in the engine bay and they hadn't blown I also swapped a relay and that didn't work. Could it be the bulbs? I believe they are the HID D2S bulbs. Is there anything else I can check before getting more bulbs which are around $70, that I would change myself or take it to an autoelectrian to get it looked at encase it's not bulbs or fuses. Also if I took the bulbs out can you tell if they are burnout like with a halogen bulb. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
You can verify that power is making it to the ballast/leveler/bucket assembly, but I don't know of what you can test beyond that point.

The system can disable the headlights if it senses that the leveler isn't working, but AFAIK it lights up the lamps (briefly) while testing, then cuts power only if the self-test fails. It sounds like yours aren't striking up at all.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,247 Posts
I've seen both lights blow at the same time, but that was on a halogen system. I'd probably pull the bulb and examine it for obvious physical defect first. Some how-to videos on YouTube for testing.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I’ve found with the halogen bulbs I was buying for my 2007 Legacy that weren’t the recommended super long life ones (forgot the designation) if they were from the same package, chances are their quality control is pretty consistent, and one particular time, I had both lowbeams go out at or near enough the same time that I found myself driving home from work with no lowbeams at dusk, and it was both scary, and I nearly got a ticket after being pulled over.

From then on, I always made sure I had extra bulbs available and a way to quickly install one again.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
365 Posts
Is your handbrake on? (does the '13 even have a handbrake? I don't recall when they switched to the 'lectric parking brake). Because on my '05 OB that will shut off the low beams.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,811 Posts
Ballast will shut off if they get wet and water finds its way in to the box, and sometimes will start back up after drying out. The igniter is needed to light the bulb. I haven't been in to the 13s too much and don't recall if the igniter is separate from the ballast. You can check for current prior to the ballast by unplugging it and turn the lights on and check for voltage supply at the positive wire. Check the ground conductance at the plug as well. If you have voltage at the plug, then go to the switch or multifunction switch that controls the low to high transition. It may have failed. I don't see any cars with HID that both bulbs will fail at the same time. Usually its in the control mechanism or water intrusion in the ballast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts