Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Anybody out there have the installation instructions for the trailer hitch wiring harness for a 2013 Outback 3.6? The part number for the kit is: L101SAJ030.

Is there a source for Subaru service manuals?

Thank you in advance for any information you can contribute.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The install is really just connecting the correct adapter and installing a ground wire. I just installed my hitch and wiring harness a few weeks ago and it was very easy. No problems what so ever. I ordered mine off of amazon here are links to both if you want to see what I ordered.

Wiring Harness by Curt
Curt Manufacturing 56040 Wiring T-Connectors : Amazon.com : Automotive

Trailer Hitch by Reese
Reese Towpower 44631 Class III/IV 2" Round Tube Professional Hitch Receiver : Amazon.com : Automotive

I found a link to the instruction on this site, not sure where, someone had them posted.

Drew

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
and here's the Curt Harness installation manual. I installed this one too. Very easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The OB is all pre wired all you do is plug the trailer harness into the pre wired plugs hidden in the back trunk area. No ground issue given that is also supplied and set up already.

Not sure about the 13's but the 10's through the 12's all had the plug hidden up under the driver side rear tire well cover. Remove all the foam inserts in the trunk floor and run your finger up behind the plastic trim covering the driver side rear wheel and there are two plugs you plug the kit into. Leave the trailer wiring in the trunk when not in use and it will stay clean and functional. When needed you simply string it out over the rear bumper and shut the hatch on it which works great for positioning the wires out of the way of the hitch to avoid pinching them. The idiots who came up with the external plugs right next to the hitch are also selling new wires and plugs to people who pinch wires with their trailer. Also in places with lots of foul road conditions the external plugs corrode and always seem to fail when its dark out and pissing down rain in some random out of the way place.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your first question, here are the instructions
http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/59718/pdf/059718-L101SAJ000302389.pdf

Just fish around behind the interior panels on the rear of the car, you'll feel the plug up there. I believe mine was taped up a little bit.

If you have the actual OEM plug, I believe it fishes through the bottom and includes a rubber plug.

Lots of good info on the site
Subaru Technical Information System
:29: Thanks for the pdf. Is this the type of information available on the STIS?

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Yes, basically any accessory installation guide is available for free download. By using them you can pretty much figure out how to dissasemble the car, even if you aren't installing said accessory.

Sometimes you'll have to search for a few years to find what you want. For example the hitch installation is only listed for 2010 OB, because the same instructions are used for 2010-2013. Generally if you search each year in a generation, you can find what you need.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wanted to thank the posts above for the very useful information about hitch wiring and installation. I installed a Torklift hitch recently and just installed the Curt T-connector wiring kit #56040 last night. As mentioned it was very easy. :D

On the OB the white connector is indeed buried under that interior body panel and it required deft fingers and mirror to spot it and pull it out for connecting it. For a ground I used a metal ground screw from a used house electrical outlet box. A 3/32 drill worked perfectly to connect the white ground wire to the interior support leg of the rear shock mount. I did not want to tap into any other chassis metal not wanting to compromise the rust proofing or drilling into something else. It worked fine. The kit does come with a spare fitting perfectly sized to be used on the shock mount stud. But I chose not to change the fitting and used the already attached one. The kit comes with double sided tape to securely attach the black 'box' portion of the kit under the interior body panel. The interior body cavity behind the rear wheel makes a great storeage place the wiring harness when not in use. The whole assemby is invisible. :29:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts