Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haul my 2 large dogs around in my '13 outback (which has about 80K on it). In the winter, no issues. In the summer, when the temp is above 75 degrees, and the speedometer reads over 72 (or so), ATF warning light comes on - but not consistently.

Which means we get to pull over & idle until the darn thing turns itself off. PITA - because I do long distance driving for dog shows & trials. Stopping every 40 - 150 miles is quite annoying.

Planning on a trip to Cleveland (about 6 hrs) in mid-July. So irritated by this I'm considering renting a car!

Ideas & suggestions, please. Note: I am *not* a gear head, just an average person who happens to like to work with her dogs & needs reliable transpo.

ATF has been changed, levels are fine

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
620 Posts
Check for obstructions or damage on the cooler/radiator. Sounds like poor airflow.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
2.5 4 cylinder with the CVT?

or 3.6 6 cylinder with the last of the great 5EAT?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
yeah, maybe blast the dead bugs out of the radiator?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Additional info (which, of course, I should have included in 1st post) - this has been going on for 3 summers now. Have had car checked by certified subaru techs, and my normal guys. No one has been able to figure out the cause. Yet.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
Um... how would I tell this? so asks the non-gear-head.
back of the 3.6 6 cylinder cars say "3.6" on them.....and their owners know they PAID for the one that goes faster and hauls bigger trailers,...and when I say paid ...like they paid $10,000 more for that privilege over the plain 2.5 4 cylinders..

more on the 2013 cars here:
Subaru 2013 Outback research webpage- specs, options, colors, photos, and more

______

so I am thinking you have a typical 2.5 4 cylinder, with the engine that may consume oil, and the CVT that may just go plain bad.

(both under extended warranty to 100,000 miles).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/490193-fb25b-fb20-extended-warranty-oil-consumption.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/429481-cvt-warranty-extension-2010-15-a.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
back of the 3.6 6 cylinder cars say "3.6" on them.....

so I am thinking you have a typical 2.5 4 cylinder, with the engine that may consume oil, and the CVT that may just go plain bad.
And you would be right! This is a 'new to me' car - needed something fast after my beloved Volvo V70 crapped out. A friend offered it at a reasonable price.

Have not had oil consumption or CVT issues (yet), but am watching.

A mechanically oriented friend will be checking car again later. More as it happens.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
And you would be right! This is a 'new to me' car - needed something fast after my beloved Volvo V70 crapped out. A friend offered it at a reasonable price.

Have not had oil consumption or CVT issues (yet), but am watching.

A mechanically oriented friend will be checking car again later. More as it happens.
one of the things that keeps the CVT going: a drain and fill. subaru originally stated that it was forever fluid, but that is just bunk.

and getting a dealer to drain and fill with the special subaru CVT fluid is kind of common place on here. (people getting it done before 100,000 miles)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and getting a dealer to drain and fill with the special subaru CVT fluid is kind of common place on here. (people getting it done before 100,000 miles)
Good to know - thanks. I'lll get that done this summer.

Delayed response because I have some wretched tick-borne malady, which has not responded to treatment yet. Had radiator checked carefully. Also the pump. Both fine. Is there a chance that the solenoid is not working correctly? And is there a way to tell?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts