Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '13 OB 3.6r ltd. at hwy speeds (70-80mph) on bad/rough sections, the rear suspension wallows a good amount. anyone else have this problem on their 4th gen OB?

i'm going to call KYB tomorrow to see if their replacement shocks have valving that's firmer than the stock units (even though i know they make the stocker to begin w/).

i wish tokico & bilstein made shocks for our car. i called them and voiced my concern and lack of availability.

thanks

duckboy

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
So much for the improved '13 suspension. It's ok...the wallowing is due to the height and compromise made for a vehicle that can go off-road (mild). Otherwise, a Legacy is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

the stock shocks are quite nice at pedestrian speeds, but, once you start hitting sharp step bumps at speed, the suspension will shudder or wallow.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I find it almost funny how now people are starting to complain about the 2013 suspension. Most people hated the 2012 suspension and complained it was too soft and the car had excessive roll in corners, etc. and the 2013 was supposed to be the holy grail be all end all fix to the 'horrible' 2012 ride. I just think most people on here are being unrealistic and expecting too much from the car, and although I am probably not one to make such speculations because I am far from an expert, and not an engineer, etc. However, it seems pretty simple to me. If you want the ground clearance your handling is going to suffer. If you want handling, you'll lose the ground clearance. Pretty simple. If you want clearance AND to get rid of the roll you'll have a very stiff, but uncomfortable suspension.

Personally, I REALLY like the ride and feel of my 2012. Coming from an '06 Forester X, the '12 OB Premium is pure luxury to me. On the freeway the Forester was noisy and a bit harsh because of the shorter wheelbase, smaller wheels, etc. Sure it was better 'off-road', the 10% of the time (if that) that it did see a gravel or graded road, but the OB is just as capable for light duty off-road use, with the added bonus of being a VERY comfortable ride on the freeway and long trips. I personally like the 'floaty' feel and can accept and deal with the roll, and have learned to put up with it with no issues in order to take advantage of the other benefits.

At the moment my OB is packed to the gills with my possessions, along with a Thule Atlantis on the roof that's packed for a move to San Francisco from San Diego that starts tomorrow morning, and will include 4 nights of camping along the way. Took the car out for a test run just to see how it felt loaded down. Car is solid, planted, and inspires confidence. My suspension is bone stock with the stock RSB.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

my '13 OB doesn't have a roll problem. it's largely a rear wallow behavior that comes up when rolling on the 405 or 710 at speed. rear just seems to have too little compression or rebound valving. my previous subaru ('04 forester xt) had better valving balance. maybe i just need to get the kyb replacements. i do love that it's smooth and quiet. not looking for a Cayenne challenger. just want a composed ride.

anyone else got this behavior?

fyi, my buddy who bought an OB 3.6 the same time as me (who came from a pontiac bonnieville) thinks his OB rides absolutely fine on the same stretch of roads.

I find it almost funny how now people are starting to complain about the 2013 suspension. Most people hated the 2012 suspension and complained it was too soft and the car had excessive roll in corners, etc. and the 2013 was supposed to be the holy grail be all end all fix to the 'horrible' 2012 ride. I just think most people on here are being unrealistic and expecting too much from the car, and although I am probably not one to make such speculations because I am far from an expert, and not an engineer, etc. However, it seems pretty simple to me. If you want the ground clearance your handling is going to suffer. If you want handling, you'll lose the ground clearance. Pretty simple. If you want clearance AND to get rid of the roll you'll have a very stiff, but uncomfortable suspension.

Personally, I REALLY like the ride and feel of my 2012. Coming from an '06 Forester X, the '12 OB Premium is pure luxury to me. On the freeway the Forester was noisy and a bit harsh because of the shorter wheelbase, smaller wheels, etc. Sure it was better 'off-road', the 10% of the time (if that) that it did see a gravel or graded road, but the OB is just as capable for light duty off-road use, with the added bonus of being a VERY comfortable ride on the freeway and long trips. I personally like the 'floaty' feel and can accept and deal with the roll, and have learned to put up with it with no issues in order to take advantage of the other benefits.

At the moment my OB is packed to the gills with my possessions, along with a Thule Atlantis on the roof that's packed for a move to San Francisco from San Diego that starts tomorrow morning, and will include 4 nights of camping along the way. Took the car out for a test run just to see how it felt loaded down. Car is solid, planted, and inspires confidence. My suspension is bone stock with the stock RSB.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
I've driven both extensively. The 12 definitely wallows and feels unsettled, but I found the 13 to be the perfect balance for what this vehicle is -a station wagon on stilts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2011 Gen 4 suspension ok

I have a 2011 Outback. I have attached the Hidden Hitch 2 inch hitch receiver to it and on a recent 6 hour trip towing a loaded 500 lb trailer with about 50 lbs tonge weight and a fully loaded cargo area and a fully loaded Subie rack and 4 adults, I thought that the suspension was fine. We drive at highway speeds for most of it.:29:

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I've been up to 65mph with dips and bumps in the road and am very happy. I would have to believe 10mph isn't going to change my mind.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I like the Buick ride quality in mine.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The longer travel suspension on the OB gives you the wallow ie bouncy feel.

If you came from a street car like Accord or other normal car their suspension travel is shorter and the shocks are tuned differently given you would be hitting the bump stops on the shorter travel suspension if the car wallowed. On the flip side the taller ground clearance and longer travel suspension makes the OB quite good off road.

You can't have good off road and good on road they require two different suspension setups as a result the OB seems very squishy and wallowy on the pavement and very smooth and quite capable off the pavement.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
LOL, to me this was the only reason to upgrade to the '13, now it is no better AND you have the firm ride.......I will keep my nice mushy ride and just deal with it. Glad I got the '12. The wheels and front end on the '13 are UGLY.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
try going from a 09' honda civic to a 12' ob on a weekly basis. i don't think you can get much more opposite than that. well maybe sti to ob....i love the ob ride, when i jump in my civic it's like riding on a covered wagon compared to the ob.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
LOL, to me this was the only reason to upgrade to the '13, now it is no better AND you have the firm ride.......I will keep my nice mushy ride and just deal with it. Glad I got the '12. The wheels and front end on the '13 are UGLY.
Or perhaps the OP would just fully despise your ride :confused: I'm not exactly sure what some of your were expecting from a better handling suspension. The car handles way better and feels more stable for the sake of a little bumpiness. To me its not even bumpy though, I'm just comparing it to the 10-12 that IMO was too soft.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
For the type of vehicle it is the handling is actually very nice, well controlled and the weighting all around seems spot on. This is a small SUV/ Stationwagon. I don't compare this vehicle to my M3, there is no comparison however my M3 will not hold what this will hold or go well in the snow or sand.

All in all I don't think the 13 wallows but again I am not a life long Subaru owner and have only a 12 Forester and 12 Outback to compare this against in the Subaru line up of vehicles...

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
This x1000

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
Whatever misgivings I had about the handling of my '11 3.6R Ltd were essentially eliminated by simply pumping up the tires to 36 front/34 rear. In addition to providing better, more secure handling on curves, it actually rides better, IMHO.

I might still upgrade the RASB (since it is an ANTI-sway bar, I refer to it as an RASB, rather than a RSB), but I am still undecided on that issue.

:D

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

i wonder if (just maybe) because my '13 was one of the 1st batch of '13's to roll off the assembly lines, my car was configured w/ '12 shocks?! hahahah, just my luck.

i called KYB today and the tech support guy confirmed their replacement shocks are 10% firmer than stock units. but, they can't confirm just yet if their '10-'12 applications are 100% compatible w/ '13's just yet. they said by end of year they could confirm. may take a chance and just get the kyb replacements now and see what happens.

btw, i'm running yokohama avid envigors and have played w/ all sorts of F/R air pressures. the issue just seems to get worse (more wallowing) with higher tire pressures. maybe i'll try and run 1psi less than stk air pressures just to see what happens. the envigors do have stiffer sidewalls than the stk conti's. the research continues...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts