Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.I drove the outback about 100 mile trip yesterday about 90*F ambient.Useing a scan gauge2 I reached 238*F and shut it down and let cool down in the shade.IMHO that is way to hot.This is a 2019 CVT from SOA installed by local Subby dealer less than a year ago.NO problems with it at all but Im afraid if I dont get ahandle on these temps im going to have big problems.

I got maybe 2 months left on my warranty for the CVT.I want to swap out the fluid to REDLINE CVT and put a cooler in line.I have heard great things about the Redline product.

Question: whick line on the CVT is the output line...cause I would like to run a high flow inline filter before the new CVT cooler also. Thankyou for you help and input.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
outback already has a CVT cooler, what are your temps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
outback already has a CVT cooler, what are your temps?
The original post has my high temp.The 14' outback does not have a CVT cooler.The CVT lines run into the radiator...this is not a cooler,it is a pre warmer to get CVT temps up quicker for morning starts ect.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The original post has my high temp.The 14' outback does not have a CVT cooler.The CVT lines run into the radiator...this is not a cooler,it is a pre warmer to get CVT temps up quicker for morning starts ect.
the confusion might be the year of the transmission listed... you said 2019 CVT, but the car is still a 2014 2.5 with a CVT ... the gen5 cars had the external air cooler as well.

maybe install an external cooler?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate your reply Walker. Copy and paste from O.P..This is a 2019 CVT from SOA installed by local Subby dealer less than a year ago. The car is a 14' with a reman CVT from SOA was a warranty swap just less than a year ago.The 14' outback is still in original form.I asked Subby to install a cooler when they swapped the CVT and they said NO! that would void my warranty.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
238 is not high temp when it is 90F when you are running the A/C. add to that stop and go traffic and you will get an idea. A high temp of 238 tells us nothing that is why i asked what your temps were, high temp will not even come on until almost 270F a quick Google search indicates that temps around 220-240 are normal for the CVT in various Subaru models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@240 we have started to torch our CVT fluid...260 your seals are done,hardened etc.,270 complete breakdown of fluid it is burnt and no good.So normal operating temp is on the verge of burning your oil...WOW.I aint letting my CVT run that hot it is getting a cooler and an upgraded fluid swap.Thanks for your help,info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back to the original question please...Question: whick line on the CVT is the output line...cause I would like to run a high flow inline filter before the new CVT cooler also. Thankyou for you help and input.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
@240 we have started to torch our CVT fluid...260 your seals are done,hardened etc.,270 complete breakdown of fluid it is burnt and no good.So normal operating temp is on the verge of burning your oil...WOW.I aint letting my CVT run that hot it is getting a cooler and an upgraded fluid swap.Thanks for your help,info.

want to cite some sources and also have you stopped to consider that the temp sensor may be faulty?

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited 2.5L
31 Posts
Discovered this in the 2010-14 service manual:
8. Time Lag Test A: INSPECTION
NOTE:
Perform the test at normal operation CVTF temperature of 60—80°C(140—176°F).

Attached PDF is the entire procedure.

"Normal" temperature range seem accurate???

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
167 Posts
Just for reference, my 2011 cvt fluid temperature hovers around 66 deg C, 150 deg F on a 70 mph cruise with 4 adults and luggage. Ambient temp of around 70 deg F. Yours seem very high. Maybe check fluid level?

·
Registered
31 Posts
"which line on the CVT is the output line...cause I would like to run a high flow inline filter before the new CVT cooler also."
Although applicable to the early 2010's the attached PDF has a picture that may help.

Looks like Subaru calls [it] a cooler. To me it is a heat exchanger. Heats the CVTF when cold and cools the CVTF when hot. Looks like it unregulated and totally depends on the temperature of the coolant. If the "• Perform the test at normal operation CVTF temperature of 60—80°C(140—176°F)." as I wrote earlier then the CVTF could go well above 200°F. Spec for the thermostat is: Starting temperature to open: 86 — 90°C (187 — 194°F); Full open temperature: 95°C (203°F). Add in the fan parameters: (from the service manual)
Radiator fan operates depending on the radiator fan operation mode related to engine coolant temperature or the radiator fan operation mode related to A/C compressor load, whichever is higher as an operation mode . . . see attached PNG operating conditions.

So is CVTF normal temperature range of 140-176°F plausible????????

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cooler install went very well....I did much more than just that.The front line is the pressure out line from CVT.I dumped the CVt fluid(this CVT has just 10,500 miles on it)I also dropped the pan and found alot of debree on the magnet in there...also some film in the bottom of the pan.Pulled the filter screen also and cleaned it and reinstalled.The pan was tough to remove so I hit it with a heat gun then the pan came off real easy.I drained the CVT fluid into a clean container and set it outside,after 6 or so hours I skimmed off the top of the old fluid and filled a mason jar.The fluid is nasty! still has a green hew to it but it is dark.I hold the mason jar up to the sun and it is NOT transparent I cant see the sun through it at all....sketchy IMHO.
I installed a inline 3/8 inch Magnifiner filter on the output line on the CVT that runs to the CVT cooler I installed up front.Before the fluid gets to the cooler I installed a thermostatically controlled diverter valve so the fluid bypasses untill it hit 180F then the diverter valve opens and sends all the fluid through the cooler.Raised the front liscence plate to get full air to it.I chose Redline CVTf fluid to replace the Subaru stuff.I will do this again @ 20k just to get more Redline in it.

The test drive:So we all understand what im driving like and the conditions.Very hilly freeway and im runnin the Subby hard 78-80 MPH(I find if I slow down to 68- 70 the CVT does not get as hot)ambient temp the first run when I hit 238F was around 90-92 f.

sorry now the test drive:First thing WOW the CVT is so butter smooth now WOW!!Im thinking the Redline CVT fluid is superior! Went on the same run driving 78MPH same hills and all but this time its 104F ambient(its HOT outside)CVt hit 203F when I slowed down to 70MPH it dropped to 200F and pretty much stayed there.FWIW after the pan removal and screen removal I ended up putting about 8 quarts back in her(the cooler had to use about 3/4 of quart)

Tonight after work im going to go on a bit longer trip just to see if it heat soakes and temps starts to climb or not.It will be around 106F to 108F today.So Tonight will be a very good test to see if I fixed my Subby to be able to run hard up and down these hills in this Hotter the hubs of **** temps.

Sorry for the book just wanted to be clear and all on what Ive done,why and how.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
945 Posts
Nice! I run the Red Line CVT fluid in our 2012 too... been running it for years now, with several drain and fills. I agree it's smoother although I've been known for my confirmation bias before, lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
rockmike: Thanks for the follow up report. Care to share some pictures?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts