Subaru Outback Forums banner

14 XT Forester drive

6K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  Primotenente 
#1 ·
I got the bug to drive one so my local dealer was nice enough to give me a XT touring to drive. The seats are interesting, you sit up very high in the front and in the back. The leather touring seats are nice but a little on the hard side and you sit on them, not in them. The real gem is the new 2.0 DIT. Plenty of smooth power especially in SI sharp mode. Every model should offer this engine and I would not consider a new Forester unless it was a XT. Handling was good if not a little on the lite side from the EPS. The ride was a little stiff but not excessive. Road noise is better than the 13 Forester but it's no Outback. Overall its a good remake but this car at 35k is tough to swallow. A discounted XT premium for 26k and change would be the real deal. If the 15 Outback offers this engine with a little more HP and TQ it is going to be flying off the lots. Fuel economy ratings are impressive for the Turbo but this is a engine I would keep my foot in so if I was really concerned with MPG the 2.5 would be my choice.

#2 ·
If the 15 Outback offers this engine with a little more HP and TQ it is going to be flying off the lots.
They already did in '05-'09, and the OBXT didn't fly off the shelves. I doubt they'll revive it. It's just not what (MOST) of the OB market wants.

The Forester is a more nimble, better handling car, so it can take better advantage of a turbo IMO.

#12 ·
Yes, Comparing Top of the line Forester with base model BMW 3 series.(without a turbo!!!:28:)
WHy not compared base Model Forester at under $24K vs TOp of the line BMW 3 series (at over $50K)....

Isn't the Saab 9-3 a rebadged subaru? I know one of them are but not sure if it is the 9-3...If som buying a used 9-3 is probably a good idea especially now that the company no longer exost and they should be discounted deeply compared to a Subaru that hold it value so well.
1) I was actually referring to the XT Outback and why the XT model was pulled.

2) I don't care if it's a called base, limited, ultra, extreme, pony, or super-awesome-edition. It was a valid comparison given the power output of the L6 and the equipment of the car, and the entire point of my post. A low 20's car that is equipped, and thus priced in the territory of a mid 30's car will still drive like a low 20's car.

You're thinking of the Saaburu 9-2x which was basically a WRX that wasn't as fast and had the ignition in the wrong spot.

And I actually liked the ignition location of my 900. :D It was nice having the ignition, parking brake, and gear shift all in one spot, as well as not having an annoying, clanking-rattle sound every time you hit a bump.

#13 ·
1) I was actually referring to the XT Outback and why the XT model was pulled.

2) I don't care if it's a called base, limited, ultra, extreme, pony, or super-awesome-edition. It was a valid comparison given the power output of the L6 and the equipment of the car, and the entire point of my post. A low 20's car that is equipped, and thus priced in the territory of a mid 30's car will still drive like a low 20's car.

And I actually liked the ignition location of my 900. :D It was nice having the ignition, parking brake, and gear shift all in one spot, as well as not having an annoying, clanking-rattle sound every time you hit a bump.
It's a good comparison, since I was trying to compare the relative prices of these cars.

If you take $35k into a BMW dealer today and compare what it can get you against the same $35k in a Subaru shop, what can you get?

Regarding the ignition keys- one of my favorite mods is the 1.5" length of foam weatherstripping tape I have attached to the steering column below the ignition key slot. It silences the keys slapping around when I'm off road, and it was simple and near-to-free.

#14 ·
I forgot to add the X-Mode enhancement to the XT'S and Limited and Touring 2.5's. I was told it was Subarus answer to Land Rovers capability as fas as off road and supreme traction. Still 35k (38k with eyesight) is too much IMO. A base auto with X-mode for around 23k would be a excellent AWD vechile for the money for folks who like no frills value.

#16 ·
When we looked at cars in December, I looked at the BMW X1 and X3 before settling on the Outback. The base model X1 is comparably priced to a top of the line Outback. Once I added the features that I wanted, the X1 was thousands more, but was a much smaller car. The X3 started out more expensive at base. We went with the Outback with EyeSight. Getting the X3 with that kind of safety feature would have been more than $10K more. The 3 series wagons started at around the same price as the X3's and are about also a bit smaller than the Outback.

I'm not saying the BMW were bad overall (or good, for that matter), but they were much more expensive for the size.

#21 ·
I thought the 2014 XT rode just as firmly as my 2013 Outback and actually absorbed sharper bumps better while cornering more nimbly. It also seemed like the suspension noise was better insulated from the cabin. I'm going to check to make sure my tire pressure isn't too high.

All in all, I loved the new XT. I like the LCD screen between the gauges of my Outback better than the one on top of the dash in the Forester and the softer/lower seats in my Outback. The Forester seats seem almost barstool tall.
I'm kicking around the idea of selling my Outback and getting a new XT, but that also seems like a big pain in the ass. That new 2.0 turbo is a real gem though.

#22 ·
I agree with the seat reference, If the seats were A+ I would consider a XT premium-Dont need nav and the 35k price tag, but Hueberger(Colorado) are publishing some nice discounts right out of the box. I would go for XT premium for 25k at some point

#23 ·
I originally liked the idea of trading in my 2013 OB Limited for a 2014 Forester Touring XT with HID but was surprised by the grouping of EyeSight/HID/Keyless into one expensive package. Sent the car into the $36K range MSRP which is ridiculous for this kind of car IMHO (read IMHO :)).

I am also totally un-sold on the NAV after owning the Subie Nav so I won't want that again.

I guess if they made a XT Limited w/ HID as a separate option I would be game. I'll just wait.

#32 ·
I agree their packaging method is ridiculous, but you could always get an XT Premium and scrape together the HID headlight housings as they're made available on ebay or other places. Then just have the dealer scan them into the car's pcm (Chrysler guys that wanted to upgrade to OEM hid did this).
If you don't want to spend $36k on a Subaru... don't. Btw, that's sticker price which you should never pay anyway.

Subaru is trying to be Hyundai/Kia and will shoot themselves in the foot trying to do so. What I mean is that it appears the entry fee for an XT is now $35k or more right? Last year the FXT could be had for $28K after you add a discount, you could have been OTD for $26??

We would have got an '11 had there been colors availible other than black, dark red or that light green. Anyway, if I recall the price point for the Forester has always fallen $1500-$2k less tha a similarly equipped Outback also? I remember when we were in the market, we actually looked at similarly equipped Foresters thinking we would save some extra money.

It seems like Subaru is slowly outclassing target market. Im am in no way saying Subaru owners can't "afford" a $36k vehicle, it's that we would weather not pay that much for a car. Perhaps the new FXT is designed to take over for the Tribeca? if that's the case than I guess I get it. But otherwise I don't see very many people splurging for the FXT at its current price point.

No disrespect to any of you that own the higher trimmed & spec'd Outbacks but even as nice a vehicle as they are, I am not paying $30k or more for a Subaru period.
So don't pay over $30k. In case you missed it, the XT starts at $27k and is being advertised at $25k before negotiations at some dealers. This isn't hard folks.
And if you think the Forester is expensive now, wait for the 2015 Outback. I'm betting it'll crest $40k in top trim with options (again, just sticker price). It'll move decidedly upscale I'm sure.

I can tell you one thing, if and when it comes time to replace our Outback if I buy anything over $30K it's not going to be powered by a petrol engine. Actually we've been entertaining the idea of a Chevy Volt. If the Forester was offered with the turbo motor at $26-$28K It would be a huge value and I think Subaru would have them flying off the lots.

I hate to say it but I bet the company is planning to move the 2015 Outback even further up market. Expect those to start at over $30K too! Lol.

I would take an FXT right now if I could get one with just the cool huge sunroof, heated seats (wifes only requested option) A/C and manual and wouldn't bat an eye. But it sounds like they want you to buy all this other crap (Si-Sharp, X-Traction BS, NAV, Eye-Sight, HID, just to get the turbo motor. No thanks.

I remember the days not to long ago when the brand made fun to drive, reliable transportation that was practical and affordable. Now they want to compete with BMW & Mercedes LOL.
Again, Subaru does offer the Forester with a turbo in that price range. Unfortunately (and this comes back to Subie's dumb option packaging) you can't get those nice things until you step up to the touring model.
And no, they're not competing with BMW and Mercedes. Maybe BMW/Merc from 1997 in terms of just pricing, but all vehicles cost more now, not just Subaru. Those cars with any options easily add $10k to their "base" price.

It's funny you say that. I posted that I could get a new 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus w/ HID into the same price range as a FXT Touring w/ the HID Package and got flamed in the Forester forum, which is expected. Sorry but it's true. I think it was less than $2K apart which is too close for a Forester and Q5 comparison.

To be fair no NAV, no Audi-equiv-eyesight on the Q5 but you do get that beautiful Audi interior to look at while you wait for that tow truck to take you away.

I will pay more for a Subaru over a Toyota/Honda/Nissan because of the AWD/Boxer but not in the BMW/Benz/Audi price range.
You got flamed because it's a silly comparison. If you want to get a stripper car from a luxury marque, then go right ahead. But the luxury in that is a nice interior and a badge. When you start comparing options like nav and adaptive cruise and things like that, the Audi quickly moves into the $50k region... and that's sort of the point of being a luxury vehicle -having all those options some lowly Subaru doesn't at a price premium (except the Subaru does).

For the record, my price without any negotiating at all from Heuberger motors on a 2014 XT Touring with Eyesight was $33k.

#24 ·
Subaru is trying to be Hyundai/Kia and will shoot themselves in the foot trying to do so. What I mean is that it appears the entry fee for an XT is now $35k or more right? Last year the FXT could be had for $28K after you add a discount, you could have been OTD for $26??

We would have got an '11 had there been colors availible other than black, dark red or that light green. Anyway, if I recall the price point for the Forester has always fallen $1500-$2k less tha a similarly equipped Outback also? I remember when we were in the market, we actually looked at similarly equipped Foresters thinking we would save some extra money.

It seems like Subaru is slowly outclassing target market. Im am in no way saying Subaru owners can't "afford" a $36k vehicle, it's that we would weather not pay that much for a car. Perhaps the new FXT is designed to take over for the Tribeca? if that's the case than I guess I get it. But otherwise I don't see very many people splurging for the FXT at its current price point.

No disrespect to any of you that own the higher trimmed & spec'd Outbacks but even as nice a vehicle as they are, I am not paying $30k or more for a Subaru period.

#26 ·
Fair enough

My dad's 99 exploder has 220,000 miles on it last summer we started looking for a replacement. Any idea what a new Explorer with lower ratings is priced at? My dad actually started laughing at the sales guy and said No More Fords for me. We left

What did we end up doing? Simple he kept the old Explorer and bought a used low mileage mint condition G35X $23,000 for a car with 38,000 miles on it top trim package. He drives the truck when he needs a beater and he drives the car when he wants to look good.

Not sure why anyone would buy a new car today unless the new car offered something the older cars didn't. The Gen4 OB is much wider and better seating space for kids in the back seat hence why we bought one. $25,000 car today is the cheap $15,000 car 15yrs ago.

#25 ·
We bought an OB 2.5 with EyeSight in December. We were annoyed that you couldn't get both EyeSight and keyless entry/pushbutton start, since keyless was only available in the SAP. The OB is a bit bigger too, so it fits our needs slightly better: easier to fit a bike in the back. The EyeSight has been fantastic so far. it makes driving safer and more comfortable (the cruise-control assist is amazing).

#34 ·
I love the limited package, but the gadgets it came with were terrible. I'm glad I bought the car used, it made it easy to chuck all that stuff overboard and install aftermarket.

But the thing is, you can update the gadgets in any car. It's a little trickier to get all the extra noise dampening and leather upholstery matched up from a low trim car to a limited.

#41 ·
Long time BMW owner and have almost always owned some sort of a truck as well. To me looking at the new Forester I want to see how it compares to my new Outback because I am selling one of my BMWs and going with something that is more useful for my life style.
To me the BMW and Forester do different missions. While the Outback and Forester do a similar mission. I could look at the X3 and X1 BMWs and most likely will but I have driven and maintained the X3 and it just doesn't work for me.
I want EyeSight so if I have to have other features I don't want like nav than so be it.
If the Forester is as impressive as the Outback I will have a hard choice between them picking a 14. If I hear the Outback will get the 2.0L turbo in 15 I will most likely wait for that vehicle...
Choice is nice...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.