Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R with CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

In this post I am going to lay out my general roadmap for what I have planned for my 2015 OB and use this map to ask questions and for advice. Eventually, once I start receiving parts I will add pretty pictures to the thread. I am going to lay it out in a list format and these sections are in no particular order other than which ones I remembered first.

Lights (Interior & Exterior):
For the interior lights, I have been reading through a couple of the forum posts found here, here, and here. Unfortunately it seems that ebay listing for the 14 LEDs has long since ended. I havent really done any heavy digging or searching though to see if it got relocated. This is also the category that I am the most murky on as it seems these LEDs can be really hit or miss. That said here are my planned upgrades for the lighting.
ReverseStedi 1,000 LUMEN T10 / T15 REVERSE LED UPGRADE
PuddlePhilips 194
Map lightsPhilips 194
TrunkSuper Bright 921
Turn SignalsStill deciding if I want to change these
HeadlightsUndecided and taking recommendations. I find the stock lights too dim
FoglightsMost likely Diode Dynamics but taking recommendations
Ditch lightsAlso thinking DD but taking recommendations if you have something you enjoy.
Roof Rack:
I am going to be honest, I hate the look of the stock roof mounting hardware. Its big, chunky, and plasticy. I do like the Prinsu Designs rack for its lower profile but it is a lot of money unfortunately. In my search I haven't really come up with an alternative to the rack that is commercially available. Am I wrong in saying this? There is the Frontrunner but it keeps the chunky plastic bits that I am not a fan of. It seems that they are mainly custom solutions which I do enjoy watching people build I must say. I will continue to update this thread as I continue to search.
Wheels & Tires:
I am looking to purchase new wheels and tires when the time comes as well. My plan is to drop down to a 17" wheel and and then put on an A/T tire. For the tires I am looking at the Falken Wildpeaks as I can get them already mounted from TireRack. Will a tire size of 245/65/17 fit on an unlifted OB? Ive seen some posts saying that they have had no issues and others say they have experienced rubbing. I would also like to add mudflaps and was looking at the offerings from Rallitek. Anyone have experience with these or are there better alternatives?
Head Unit (and other interior mods):
The head unit at this point in the '15 is pretty useless as the screen cant be used in any manner of bright light and the maps are horrendous. I would like to upgrade the head unit to something with android auto but would like to keep the functionality of the reverse camera and the beeping. This is where this forum thread come into play. Can anyone corroborate or does anyone have a suggestion that they think might be better?
Suspension:
This upgrade will be down the road but I am leaning towards the Ironman 4x4 suspension as I really think its a well designed piece of kit, not that the others aren't. I will be following this closely to see if any issues start to crop up as people start putting miles on them.
Exhaust:
Looking at the Nameless Axelback exhaust but I am worried about droning as I drive an hour to work every day (pre-pandemic). I also saw that LP has an offering and in this post here, the individual was impressed with what they received. Another idea would be to go to a custom exhaust shop and have them fabricate one for me which may or may not be cheaper than the LP. Has anyone here done a custom exhaust for an outback?
Underbody Protection:
I am also interested in having underbody protection and have looked at the offerings from Rallitek, LP, and Primitive. All of them look kind of meh I guess? I can see that they will hold up against light and basic stuff but there is always the "what if" and "oops" moments. Are there better offerings in the Aussie market? If soo, I would be interested in trying to get something from there here in the US.

If you have made it to the end thank you for reading. Ill update this thread as I do more research and as I mentioned before I will get the pictures up once I start ordering. I will also put up detailed guides with pictures so that anyone who stumbles upon this in the future can see exactly how things were done. Lastly, apologies if this seems jumbly and skippy. I bounced around from section to section while writing this post. Thank you again for reading and for your time.

Cheers,
Moose

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
737 Posts
Greetings!

In this post I am going to lay out my general roadmap for what I have planned for my 2015 OB and use this map to ask questions and for advice. Eventually, once I start receiving parts I will add pretty pictures to the thread. I am going to lay it out in a list format and these sections are in no particular order other than which ones I remembered first.

Lights (Interior & Exterior):
For the interior lights, I have been reading through a couple of the forum posts found here, here, and here. Unfortunately it seems that ebay listing for the 14 LEDs has long since ended. I havent really done any heavy digging or searching though to see if it got relocated. This is also the category that I am the most murky on as it seems these LEDs can be really hit or miss. That said here are my planned upgrades for the lighting.
ReverseStedi 1,000 LUMEN T10 / T15 REVERSE LED UPGRADE
PuddlePhilips 194
Map lightsPhilips 194
TrunkSuper Bright 921
Turn SignalsStill deciding if I want to change these
HeadlightsUndecided and taking recommendations. I find the stock lights too dim
FoglightsMost likely Diode Dynamics but taking recommendations
Ditch lightsAlso thinking DD but taking recommendations if you have something you enjoy.
Roof Rack:
I am going to be honest, I hate the look of the stock roof mounting hardware. Its big, chunky, and plasticy. I do like the Prinsu Designs rack for its lower profile but it is a lot of money unfortunately. In my search I haven't really come up with an alternative to the rack that is commercially available. Am I wrong in saying this? There is the Frontrunner but it keeps the chunky plastic bits that I am not a fan of. It seems that they are mainly custom solutions which I do enjoy watching people build I must say. I will continue to update this thread as I continue to search.
Wheels & Tires:
I am looking to purchase new wheels and tires when the time comes as well. My plan is to drop down to a 17" wheel and and then put on an A/T tire. For the tires I am looking at the Falken Wildpeaks as I can get them already mounted from TireRack. Will a tire size of 245/65/17 fit on an unlifted OB? Ive seen some posts saying that they have had no issues and others say they have experienced rubbing. I would also like to add mudflaps and was looking at the offerings from Rallitek. Anyone have experience with these or are there better alternatives?
Head Unit (and other interior mods):
The head unit at this point in the '15 is pretty useless as the screen cant be used in any manner of bright light and the maps are horrendous. I would like to upgrade the head unit to something with android auto but would like to keep the functionality of the reverse camera and the beeping. This is where this forum thread come into play. Can anyone corroborate or does anyone have a suggestion that they think might be better?
Suspension:
This upgrade will be down the road but I am leaning towards the Ironman 4x4 suspension as I really think its a well designed piece of kit, not that the others aren't. I will be following this closely to see if any issues start to crop up as people start putting miles on them.
Exhaust:
Looking at the Nameless Axelback exhaust but I am worried about droning as I drive an hour to work every day (pre-pandemic). I also saw that LP has an offering and in this post here, the individual was impressed with what they received. Another idea would be to go to a custom exhaust shop and have them fabricate one for me which may or may not be cheaper than the LP. Has anyone here done a custom exhaust for an outback?
Underbody Protection:
I am also interested in having underbody protection and have looked at the offerings from Rallitek, LP, and Primitive. All of them look kind of meh I guess? I can see that they will hold up against light and basic stuff but there is always the "what if" and "oops" moments. Are there better offerings in the Aussie market? If soo, I would be interested in trying to get something from there here in the US.

If you have made it to the end thank you for reading. Ill update this thread as I do more research and as I mentioned before I will get the pictures up once I start ordering. I will also put up detailed guides with pictures so that anyone who stumbles upon this in the future can see exactly how things were done. Lastly, apologies if this seems jumbly and skippy. I bounced around from section to section while writing this post. Thank you again for reading and for your time.

Cheers,
Moose
Forgive me for suggesting this...have you thought of just buying a new one?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
95 Posts
For all lighting, I would recommend going with Diode Dynamics but especially for the fog and ditch lights, and the headlight bulbs. The SS3 fog light kit for the Outback works perfectly, installs easily, and the lights are the best available. I would highly suggest going with yellow for better snow/rain/fog visibility, less eye strain, and of course the signature JDM Subaru/Toyota look.

Just type in your vehicle model on their site, and I would get pretty much everything you need there except turn signal bulbs. I believe that the DD solutions still require a resistor, whereas the Lasfit 7440 bulbs that I have do not so they are plug-and-play without any additional modification.

Their HID replacement bulbs have also served me well and were a bit brighter than stock, but are available in a slightly whiter 6000K. I also highly recommend the trunk light strip which can be mounted anywhere on the trunk ceiling or in the hatch with some additional wiring, and provide a significant amount of additional light.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,819 Posts
Lights - DD seems to have a good rep. I've seen lots of questionable lighting mods here so I'd take recommendations with a grain of salt. People going waaaay too bright (and/or juvenile blue) on things like head/fog/reverse lights. Just because you can go much brighter doesn't mean you should. Listen to this guy - CAN compatibility may not be needed:
Subaru equipped your 3.6 with good quality (IMO) HID low beams which most consider to be more than adequate. If some new capsules still seem "too dim", and the projectors are in otherwise good shape (also confirm correct beam level), then your expectations may require recalibrating. Consider the safety of others on the road and just add auxiliary lights for the boonies.

Rack - not a lot of options. Yes, you will pay, people looking to upgrade want quality up there.

Wheels - tons of threads, but:

Head unit - limited info here (also, again, of questionable reliability). I'd just consult a pro or call Crutchfield if you're looking to DIY.

Lift - just be aware that you may go through axles a bit faster (some seem to go through them really fast). Maybe no big deal if you can DIY.

Exhaust - I think the only good mod I've seen was the WRX swap posted recently. The rest is dumb droney stuff.

Skidplates - seem pretty limited. Remember, this is an Outback, take it easy.

There are numerous threads covering each of these topics in the Gen 5 subforum, so (in case you were unaware) you can use the search bar up top - enter a key word and select the "in this forum" link that pops up (or proceed to advanced options):

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
737 Posts
Buying a new vehicle? I just bought this one... :( valid suggestion though.
Sorry missed that part, having said that it does seem like the Wilderness edition would be a nice fit for you, based on some of the upgrades you are looking to do. But the 3.6 is great, you will enjoy! Good luck with your build!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited 2013 Crosstrek (traded) 2020 Outback premium pkg11
231 Posts
You could switch to touring roof rails.
With the right wheels 245/65/17 will fit.

Reactions: Zahn

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
91 Posts
@RubberMoose - lol as an engineer, I love your list... I've something very similar within an Excel sheet. I've first column the items / areas of interest to improve / modify, and then copied/pasted comments / suggestions and links / prices / sources into other subsequent columns. Will be interesting to see what all you arrive with over your journey also.

BTW, the search function herein is not too shabby (lol, just recall to check if desire sort by "Relevant" or "Most Recent")

PS: this thread, as example is amazing craftsmanship for some interior lighting: Complete interior LED light install - 2012 premium

1 - 8 of 8 Posts