Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car into GO Subaru West, Golden CO for the 15K service. They wanted to change ALL the fluids, plus whatever else comes with the 15 K service. Total would have bee about $375.00. I said to just do what the factory recommended. Cost was $200.

GO claimed Colorado driving is "harsh conditions" warranting the extra service. Should I do this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
Colorado is considered a severe service area mostly because of the dust on the plains and mountain driving elsewhere. For most automakers that involves changing filters (air/cabin) and oil more frequently, plus more frequent brake/transmission service.

Are they advocating changing the brake, radiator and transmission fluid too @ 15K? That seems like additional revenue for your dealer with no benefit to you. The schedule does recommend brake fluid replacement @ 15K under 'hard mountainous driving' which may or may not apply to your specific driving pattern.

$200 seems excessive for an oil change, tire rotation, and brake/suspension inspection. I'd expect $100-$125 tops. Maybe they are including the brake fluid replacement in the $200 figure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pricey

rotate tires
change oil and filter
replace AC filter
inspect everything

$209.

That seems really high. I forget the other fluids they wanted to do, but they wanted to replace the differential and brake I guess.

This is a new car and the dealer is close to work so very convenient. Seems really high to me. I would change more fluids if it was a good idea.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Wilderness Green; 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
198 Posts
Price Gouging?

Per the My Subaru factory website, our 2012 Limited 2.5i required the following:
<O:p</O:p
Recommended Maintenance<O:p</O:p
15,000 miles
Replace engine oil
Replace engine oil filter
Inspect disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Perform inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect clutch operation
Inspect steering and suspension
Perform rotate and inspect tires
Replace a/c filter
We also needed the WQC-39 ECM reprogramming recall performed. They could only perform the recall during the week when we needed the car for work. So they gave us a free loaner and the entire service above was only $124.82. Now we do not live in Colorado, but I think it’s time you find another dealer.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Per the My Subaru factory website, our 2012 Limited 2.5i required the following:
Recommended Maintenance<O:p</O:p
15,000 miles
Replace engine oil
Replace engine oil filter
Inspect disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Perform inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect clutch operation
Inspect steering and suspension
Perform rotate and inspect tires
Replace a/c filter
We also needed the WQC-39 ECM reprogramming recall performed. They could only perform the recall during the week when we needed the car for work. So they gave us a free loaner and the entire service above was only $124.82. Now we do not live in Colorado, but I think it’s time you find another dealer.<O:p</O:p
Standard oil change proceedure at a dealer! Shouldnt cost more than $60. Otherwise uts a rip off. No such thing as a 15k service for this car by the way.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
Standard oil change proceedure at a dealer! Shouldnt cost more than $60. Otherwise uts a rip off. No such thing as a 15k service for this car by the way.
Agreed. That service on my 2011 would cost me $50 WITH SYNTHETIC OIL! EVERY item listed is allegedly done for that $50 except for the clutch operation check and the a/c filter.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
rotate tires
change oil and filter
replace AC filter
inspect everything

$209.
At 15K I had this done, minus the AC filter and I think I paid about $25!!! Yes, I live in Colorado and had it done at my dealership...

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Follow the service schedule published by Subaru - really simple and credible defense for anything the dealer says.

Reputation is so important to the car makers that you would not be getting service schedule that would harm it. I did have one car where they changed the service guidelines after I bought it and before out of warranty. That change was still less extreme than what the dealer wanted.

No babying and nothing more than suggested maintenance had my last car last and be reliable for 14 years.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
They are probably charging your $100 for a cabin air filter replacement - like dealers of all makes do. You can change the cabin air filter yourself in 5 min. OEM filters cost about $20. aftermarket ones are $12-$15 (basic/carbon impregnated type)

Here is do it yourself sample video:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody

I figured it was kind of high, to put it mildly. I called the dealer where I bought the car, Flatirons, and they say they do not change all the fluids at 15K, they just do what has been described above as recommended by Subaru. Too bad, GO West is really close to my office.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 12 of 12 Posts