Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, that is what I just paid for a 7500 mile service at my local Bay Area dealer.
No coffee and no one let me know my car was ready while I sat in the waiting room.
I've always been DIY but since I am pushing 60, I don't feel like crawling on my back with oil running down my arm.
I learned my lesson, no more dealer visits for routine service.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Well, they probably checked the tires, and inspected your Rendler Spindle and Blinker Fluid.
Please tell me they at least put Nitrogen in your tires as part of that? LOL

That is what I call the - we really don't want to do oil changes here but for the right price we'll do it. Apparently $150 is the right price for the shop that doesn't want oil change service work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was quoted $151 by my local dealer for a 37,500 mile service (oil change and tire rotation). Nearly fell out of my chair. Their explanation was there was some 25-point inspection or some crap. Stuff I look at regularly (brakes, fluids, etc.) I am sure. I asked if the first 1 was a typo and they meant $51.

Did it myself for like 40 bucks or whatever a jug at walmat, a filter and a crush wsaher cost. You dont even need to put it on ramps or a jackstand. That is an incredible ripoff but not unprecedented.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
So we started to see this trend in the Bay Area and outer areas about a year ago. The $25 oil change my mom was having done at the Fairfield dealer right at TRAVIS BLV on Highway 80 started this in the last few months. Its called boosting the shop profits.

They have started to really pressure older customers to buy into this scheme. So far they seem to be loosing customers instead. Ford went down this road way way back and now Ford is spending piles of TV add time to sell people on the idea that Ford dealers want to put your tires on for you and service your car etc. LOL

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did get a "21 point safety inspection" for that price.
I was informed in writing my brakes and tires are fine. With only 7500 mi, I sure hope so.
The trend to menu itemizing is correct.
If you want your cabin filter changed, that will cost you $115.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Changed my oil 7 qts of Pennzoil Synthetic Platinum filter and check of the under carriage took me less than 10 minutes and cost $5 lift use at the base auto hobby shop.
I am fortunate to have access to this resource as it sure pays off.
Walmart has the Platinum synthetic oil for $24.98 and two extra quarts about 13 bucks. There was a 5 buck instant discount coupon and a 10 dollar mail in gas card too.
Filter I bought in bulk 6 in a pack shipped for 48 bucks.
$8 for the filter plus $33 for the oil and $5 lift use = $46.00 which will last for 7500 miles. I can live with that.

BMW doesn't charge much more than that if that much for an oil change...

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I haven't been to my local dealer this year. Last year I had them do a few things. I thought they were pricey but the level of service was fantastic! I took the car to them, and they gave me a ride to the airport. I flew away to do a gig. When I came back they had a driver waiting for me at the airport, and they'd done the service right.

Another time I waited for the service. Nice lounge, free wifi, desks & couches & coffee...

Again I didn't think it was cheap, but I definitely felt like I was getting something for it.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Yes, that is what I just paid for a 7500 mile service at my local Bay Area dealer.
No coffee and no one let me know my car was ready while I sat in the waiting room.
I've always been DIY but since I am pushing 60, I don't feel like crawling on my back with oil running down my arm.
I learned my lesson, no more dealer visits for routine service.
...ouch...!

Since you are a DIY guy...but a little more mature...may I suggest a fumoto drian valve. Makes life easy...and no oil running down your arms. Just a quick flick of the valve and the oil is drained... I am over 50...works for me.

...and that will be $150.00 more for beer money :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Write a letter addressed to the service manager with a copy to the dealership manager, be polite and explain not only do you think the charges were excessive but you were left sitting in the waiting room long after the car was done, end the letter by asking them to remove your name from their mailing lists regarding any future service because you will be taking your car elsewhere.

I would be surprised if you didn't get an apologetic response

·
Registered
128 Posts
...ouch...!

Since you are a DIY guy...but a little more mature...may I suggest a fumoto drian valve. Makes life easy...and no oil running down your arms. Just a quick flick of the valve and the oil is drained... I am over 50...works for me.

...and that will be $150.00 more for beer money :D
Dam, I'm over 50 too. I didn't know I was old!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
557 Posts
i believe that price is typical here, San Diego area, too.

i found a great independent service place that worked with subarus and did the same $150 service for $30.

changed oil, rotated the tires and looked at stuff :)

of course, they moved a bit further away from me!

so, after my 2 year 24k "free" service is finished with the dealer i'll be looking again - booo.

joel

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
27 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing