Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you run 16 inch wheels on a gen 5 Outback, or are the brakes too big? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Nope - they won't fit as far as what I've read so far.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
all 2015 and newer base 2.5i legacy and outbacks came with steel 17" 5x114.3....so probably not as far as conventional rims.

@Brucey may know. or read of someone trying a 16" on a gen5.

occasionally odd ball expensive rally rims are discussed with a different angle on the inside of the rim made to clear brakes,...and bought to put on rally or special off road tires with a bigger side wall. (these type $$$ rims are the exception to the conventional rules.).

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
None fit because of the brakes.

I'm not even sure about 16s on the gen 4.

If it could be done on that platform it should convert if you're willing to swap the brakes. Rally wheels are another idea.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
None fit because of the brakes.

I'm not even sure about 16s on the gen 4.

If it could be done on that platform it should convert if you're willing to swap the brakes. Rally wheels are another idea.
now that you mention it I remember people swapping on STI impreza fancy little brakes so they could have smaller diameter the legacy/ outback but still the stopping power to bring a heavy car under control.

______

in Gen 4:

16" go on Gen4 H4s. (the base models were made with steelie 16"), however they can not fit on the bigger badder H6 cars or LGT of the period.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That?s kind of what I figured. Stupid brakes... being all big and stuff... I wanted to put BFG KO2?s on like I have on my pickup, but they don?t make those in a 17 inch. Oh well. Thanks guys.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
That?s kind of what I figured. Stupid brakes... being all big and stuff... I wanted to put BFG KO2?s on like I have on my pickup, but they don?t make those in a 17 inch. Oh well. Thanks guys.
don't give up.

what 17" size you looking for?, lots of people here running Ko2,.. (I presume some of them on 17" rims).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that?s my bad. They do make KO2s in a 17. My phone wouldn?t load the page correctly. Once I checked my computer, I realized the problem.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
9 Posts
So this thread went a little astray from the original question, which is understandable given the OP’s needs. However, I have the same question that started this thread. I want to put 225/70R16 tires on 16x7 rims on my 2018 Outback which comes with 225/65R17 tires on 17x7 rims. The difference in the diameter of the tires is negligible, and I believe the offset will work, but the brakes are the big concern. Anyone have insight into this? How can you figure out whether a 16” wheel will fit over the brakes?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My 2010 Legacy is on 16’s and runs identical brakes as the 2010 OB. I recall all 15’s got the larger brake calipers the 10-14 3.6R had and only fit 17 or larger.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5L
1 Posts
So this thread went a little astray from the original question, which is understandable given the OP’s needs. However, I have the same question that started this thread. I want to put 225/70R16 tires on 16x7 rims on my 2018 Outback which comes with 225/65R17 tires on 17x7 rims. The difference in the diameter of the tires is negligible, and I believe the offset will work, but the brakes are the big concern. Anyone have insight into this? How can you figure out whether a 16” wheel will fit over the brakes?
I'm looking for the same thing so maybe I can keep this thread alive! I'd also like 16" wheels, so I can get more sidewall but avoid modifying the wheel wells. I've looked around for information on which brakes would be (a) small enough to accommodate a 16" wheel and (b) have enough stopping power for a reasonably cargo-laden Outback (2017 2.5i Premium) but haven't found any that are confirmed to meet those specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I am looking for a good answer on this as well. Anyone have a good answer. I have a 2016 Outback with 225 65 r17 tires and stock rims. I am looking to buy 225 70 r16 tires on 5x114.3 rims. Will those work without any modifications. Thanks for the info in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking for the same thing so maybe I can keep this thread alive! I'd also like 16" wheels, so I can get more sidewall but avoid modifying the wheel wells. I've looked around for information on which brakes would be (a) small enough to accommodate a 16" wheel and (b) have enough stopping power for a reasonably cargo-laden Outback (2017 2.5i Premium) but haven't found any that are confirmed to meet those specs.
Did you ever go with 16" wheels?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just want to announce that there is an affordable option for fitting 16 inch and maybe even 15 inch rims on your 5 gen Outback! Follow @symmetrical_subie and @simmons_built to follow the build. I just installed 235/70r/16 pirelli scorpion all terrain plus and 16x7 Sparco Terra. Follow to know how it’s done!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just want to know if anyone has done it with stock brakes. I am not going to do a build of anything I don't necessarily have to do. I just want to swap tires out. Anyone do that successfully with 16s?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to announce that there is an affordable option for fitting 16 inch and maybe even 15 inch rims on your 5 gen Outback! Follow @symmetrical_subie and @simmons_built to follow the build. I just installed 235/70r/16 pirelli scorpion all terrain plus and 16x7 Sparco Terra. Follow to know how it’s done! View attachment 475090
Do you have stock breaks with this set up or did you have to modify breaks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you try the 17x7 on the 2018 outback? I am getting a 2014 base model soon and I know I will eventually trade it in for a 2018-20 in a couple of years so I want to get something that I can have for both vehicles. My plan was to get 16x7 sparcos on cooper at3's for the 2014, and later put them on the newer gen, that way I can spend money on 16" tires and not 17's every year. I have a feeling that I will need to get 17" for the 2014 and maybe lift it an inch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts